How long should a foot valve last?

Users who are viewing this thread

watpress

Reaction score
I am pumping water out of a lake. The water quality is reasonably good. I am using a simple brass and stainless steel foot valve which has been trouble free for about 5 years now. How long should I expect this type of foot valve to last?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumping from a lake you can always get a fish bone, leaf, or blade of grass in the foot valve and even a new one would fail. But just like everything else in a pump system the life of the foot valve depends on how many times the pump cycles on and off and how hard it slams on pump stop. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will make the pump, tank, and even the foot valve last several times longer than normal.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Can you get to and see the valve? If yes, first see if something is stuck in it. A leaf, a stick, fishing line etc. If it’s clean, just replace it. They’re cheap and easy to replace. Then take a look at the old one to see what the sealing surfaces look like. Could be marred up by something that hit it hard or maybe just worn from sand running over it. If it’s clean, could be just a poorly manufactured valve. Maybe a Monday morning valve. But if you can get to it easily, just replace it every 5 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks