How does one verify there's no wax ring leak after install?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by HomeRepairGuy, Aug 15, 2020.

1. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy Member

After installing a toilet and before caulking the base to the floor, what's the proper way to verify that there's no wax ring leak? The toilet is a Toto water saver type. I forget the toilet model but maybe a drake.

If pouring water quickly into the bowl from a bucket (say 3 gallons of water), how many buckets to verify that the wax ring is not leaking?

Want to be absolutely sure there's no wax ring leak before caulking and calling it a day.

Thanks.

PS: I will be sure not to caulk the back of the toilet when I do caulk it.

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Why not caulk behind the toilet also?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy Member

To allow water from any wax ring leak in the future to leak out the back as an alert that the wax ring is leaking.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Yes, some inspectors like to see the back left out so that a bad seal is caught sooner before floor damage can occur.
    I hear that some inspectors want it all the way around, but that isn't common. If it's my home, the back gets left out.

I like to flush a new install with the handle down all the way a few times to drain the entire tank all at once, sort of the acid test.

6. HomeRepairGuy

HomeRepairGuy Member

Thanks Terry for your input. I'll do a bunch of holding the handle down flushes to "hopefully" see a leak if it's happening, before caulking.