hot water sink on off knob is squeaky like the rubber o rings are dry yet cold no squeak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by quartermilecamel, Oct 27, 2020.

1. quartermilecamel

quartermilecamel New Member

I keep on greasing the hot water valve but it doesnt last long yet the cold water knob doesnt do this. Is there a proper grease for this? I have well water and a water rite sanitizer series softener thats 12 years old. what can I do to get this valve to stop the rubbery squeak sound when the knob is turned on or off

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Kitchen sink?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. quartermilecamel

yes kitchen sink.......two separate 1/4 turn knobs. I thought instead of the 1 handle type for hot and cold that I would try the separate knob/valve style. The plus side is it has a sprayer and a tall 180 degree spigot sorta like the commercial ones, only the hot will only not rubber squeak for a little bit after I put the ace hardware plumbers grease in the valve. Is hot water just harder on valves or is there something I can do?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't think I remember a kitchen faucet squeak. But for grease, I would try
    silicone grease. I have a 5.3 ounce tube of Molykote 111 that is good for a lot of things.

From Ace, I would try this if it is not what you used: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/plumbing-tools/plumbing-grease/4768503 Even that 0.5 ounce will lube a lot of o-rings.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. quartermilecamel

I dont think it said silicone grease. Just looked at tube and it says plumbers grease faucet and valve, waterproof. So I have no idea what to do.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020