Users who are viewing this thread

Mpkadz

Reaction score
We remodeled our main bathroom 5 years ago and we had the plumber put in a new
Delta Faucet Linden 17 Series Dual-Function Tub and Shower Trim Kit with 2-Spray In2ition 2-in-1 Hand Held Shower Head with Hose, Stainless T17494-SS-Ithat worked fine until August 2019. Since August, the hot water does not stay hot. A 5 minute shower and the temp adjuster has to be up to 85-90% towards hot to even have a comfortable shower, not hot. Needless to say, the second person to take a shower is at a major disadvantage. I have been in contact with Delta, They have sent me two new valves since November, and I purchased one as well (been thru 4 valves total - original + 3). Nothing has corrected the issue yet. I have flushed the lines, one at a time, with water from and with air, as well as having flushed and cleaned all faucet, handle and shower head components. I have also adjusted the Hot/Cold cam both directions, with no real change in the situation. Today, in another frustrating morning, after two less than satisfying showers, I left the water running (adjusted to 100% to the hot side) and went downstairs and shut off the cold water to see how the system responds, expecting hot water only. SURPRISE! There was NO WATER at the tub/shower. I am at a total loss where to turn next, but will contact Delta first thing Monday. Any tips or solutions from experience is very much appreciated.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"I left the water running (adjusted to 100% to the hot side) and went downstairs and shut off the cold water to see how the system responds, expecting hot water only. SURPRISE! There was NO WATER "

Fantastic the shower is doing its job. It would be a "Surprise" if you did have water flow if either the hot or cold supply was shut

This is why these amazing valves work on pressure / temperature control to prevent scalding

Majeks

Reaction score
We remodeled our main bathroom 5 years ago and we had the plumber put in a new
Delta Faucet Linden 17 Series Dual-Function Tub and Shower Trim Kit with 2-Spray In2ition 2-in-1 Hand Held Shower Head with Hose, Stainless T17494-SS-Ithat worked fine until August 2019. Since August, the hot water does not stay hot. A 5 minute shower and the temp adjuster has to be up to 85-90% towards hot to even have a comfortable shower, not hot. Needless to say, the second person to take a shower is at a major disadvantage. I have been in contact with Delta, They have sent me two new valves since November, and I purchased one online as well (been thru 4 valves total - original + 3). Nothing has corrected the issue yet. I have flushed the lines, one at a time, with water from and with air, as well as having flushed and cleaned all faucet, handle and shower head components. I have also adjusted the Hot/Cold cam both directions, with no real change in the situation. Today, in another frustrating morning, after two less than satisfying showers, I left the water running (adjusted to 100% to the hot side) and went downstairs and shut off the cold water to see how the system responds, expecting hot water only. SURPRISE! There was NO WATER at the tub/shower. I am at a total loss where to turn next, but will contact Delta first thing Monday. Any tips or solutions from experience is very much appreciated.

How old is ypur water heater??

Mpkadz

Reaction score
"I left the water running (adjusted to 100% to the hot side) and went downstairs and shut off the cold water to see how the system responds, expecting hot water only. SURPRISE! There was NO WATER "

Fantastic the shower is doing its job. It would be a "Surprise" if you did have water flow if either the hot or cold supply was shut

This is why these amazing valves work on pressure / temperature control to prevent scalding
Understood. With the cold supply shut off, as I rotate the temp lever back toward cold, shouldn't some hot be allowed through? That is what I expected.
That all said, I am still at a loss as to why we can't take hot showers.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
12 Yr old water heater time for retirement before it starts to leak

Majeks

Reaction score
WH is 12 years old
Time to replace water heater you can check your faucet open hot side only and let it run you gonna see how fast get cool down
Your water heater is not leaking but getting Calcium Buildup because its ooooldd and from 40 gallons you getting only 30 or 25

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not saying this would help the lack of hot water, but you should flush the junk out of the bottom of your water heater.

Turning the WH hotter may help for real. For troubleshooting, while somebody is attempting to take a hot shower, how hot can the lavatory or kitchen sink faucet get? If those are not hot, then you cannot blame the shower valve, I would think.

Mpkadz

Reaction score
I am not saying this would help the lack of hot water, but you should flush the junk out of the bottom of your water heater.

Turning the WH hotter may help for real. For troubleshooting, while somebody is attempting to take a hot shower, how hot can the lavatory or kitchen sink faucet get? If those are not hot, then you cannot blame the shower valve, I would think.

I have done a flush of the WH. No sediment, junk or crud. The faucets are hot, but I can still hold my hand in the flow.

I have also turned the temp setting up and down on the WH and observed no difference.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On a balanced valve like what you have, if you turn off one side, the valve shuts off. If you turn the cold water off to the home, then well............it's off.

You may have a bottom element out on the electric water heater. If the top element is still good you will get about half a tank. If the top element were bad, then you would have no hot water. Most condo associations mandate replacement at 10 years for their water heaters. Sure they "can" last longer, but at what cost? A home with the water heater in the garage has a lot less to lose then someone with a water heater inside with carpets and drywall.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have an electric hot water heater, my guess would be one of the elements is not working.

Mpkadz

Reaction score
On a balanced valve like what you have, if you turn off one side, the valve shuts off. If you turn the cold water off to the home, then well............it's off.

You may have a bottom element out on the electric water heater. If the top element is still good you will get about half a tank. If the top element were bad, then you would have no hot water. Most condo associations mandate replacement at 10 years for their water heaters. Sure they "can" last longer, but at what cost? A home with the water heater in the garage has a lot less to lose then someone with a water heater inside with carpets and drywall.

Should have included the WH info in the original post. My bad. It is a gas WH - Bradford White 50 gal with power vent

Mpkadz

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. Turns out it was the dip rod (completely gone when we took it out to inspect). A lot cheaper than an entire WH.

Mpkadz

Reaction score

thanks for helping me better understand the valves and the way this all works.

Mpkadz

Reaction score
OK, replaced the water heater this past June, as it finally gave up the ghost. Same brand and model. Slowly, since installation, the problem is returning! Shower valve adjusted to midpoint of hot and cold and the water is almost too hot, but only for about 30 seconds. At the 30 second point the water heater comes on. About 1 minute later, you have to begin adjusting the valve hotter and hotter. By the time the shower is done, the valve is adjusted to 100% hot. Waiting for installing plumber to reply, by thought I'd post here, as well. Any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
OK, replaced the water heater this past June, as it finally gave up the ghost. Same brand and model. Slowly, since installation, the problem is returning! Shower valve adjusted to midpoint of hot and cold and the water is almost too hot, but only for about 30 seconds. At the 30 second point the water heater comes on. About 1 minute later, you have to begin adjusting the valve hotter and hotter. By the time the shower is done, the valve is adjusted to 100% hot. Waiting for installing plumber to reply, by thought I'd post here, as well. Any thoughts?
You don't get that same symptom on your other taps. How could you blame the WH?

But on the other hand, I am not sure. I would use the thermocouple for my multimeter to look at the temperature of the water out of the WH. Or maybe use my cheapo IR non-contact thermometer looking at the hot pipe.

There are thermostatic mixing valves, required now I think, to mix cold into the hot to limit how hot the hot can go. These can be installed at the WH.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sounds like a cross connection. Do you have a recirculating system? Also you should check the dip tube again. The reason the first once came off may not be evident and still exist.

Mpkadz

Reaction score
This sounds like a cross connection. Do you have a recirculating system? Also you should check the dip tube again. The reason the first once came off may not be evident and still exist.
Yes, I have a recirculating system. What should I be checking for to identify and correct the cross-connection?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks