Hot water not what it used to be

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Ok I have another question on this dip tube. If it’s bad, and pieces of plastic are in the tank, then even if I replace the tube, that doesn’t get rid of the plastic. So maybe a new tank is best.

Phog

Reaction score
Ok I have another question on this dip tube. If it’s bad, and pieces of plastic are in the tank, then even if I replace the tube, that doesn’t get rid of the plastic. So maybe a new tank is best.

There is foreign stuff inside of every water heater that's not brand new -- mineral scaling , rust, dissolved anode. I know you've flushed yours regularly, but it's difficult to get everything out. A few pieces of plastic (or even an entire broken off section of tube) won't hurt anything. I still think you've gotten your money's worth out of a 12yo water heater, but I don't think plastic pieces should weigh into your decision.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Thanks Phog. I think I’ll just get a new tank. I’ll pull the anode and save it. Then I’ll look at the dip tube just so I know.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Ok guys, I got a new 1225 cartridge from Moen and installed it in my shower. Same problem exists. When I am in the shower with the mix just right, and then pull the knob straight out for more flow, the mix changes. It gets cold. It’s not a big problem because I simply rotate the knob for more hot and then it’s ok. But is this an indication of an underlying problem with the water heater? Do you guys think a new dip tube will fix it? Both elements are good. Do I even need to worry about it? Should I just keep on keeping on until the tank fails completely or leaks?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about comparing the water
Ok guys, I got a new 1225 cartridge from Moen and installed it in my shower. Same problem exists. When I am in the shower with the mix just right, and then pull the knob straight out for more flow, the mix changes. It gets cold. It’s not a big problem because I simply rotate the knob for more hot and then it’s ok.
That cartridge is not the pressure-balancing part. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/old-moentrol-which-cartridge.4244/

Do you guys think a new dip tube will fix it? Both elements are good. Do I even need to worry about it?
Your symptom does not seem to go along with a bad dip tube. The dip tube would tend to limit the time that you got hot water, and your problem seems to be flow-related. You could check the temperature of the pipe out of the WH as you adjust your shower. Non-contact thermometers can be pretty cheap today.

But I would be wondering if that pressure balancing thing could be your problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pressure balance spool valve normally does not have any effect on normal operations unless it is stuck. Its purpose in life only comes into play if the SUPPLY pressure coming into the valve were to change. If, say, the cold water pressure were to drop when someone flushed a toilet, turned on say a hose bib, etc., it would lower the volume of the hot to match the pressure coming in with the cold, and within a small margin, keep the OUTLET water TEMPERATURE the same (keep things in balance)...it has no effect with changing the outgoing volume except, potentially in one case that I can think of. With a tankless system, some of them will adjust the output volume based on trying to keep the temperature the same. That effectively drops the pressure, and that could affect things a bit. It shouldn't be an issue with a tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks