Hot water delay, installation questions for recirc pump

Users who are viewing this thread

mark_pdx

Reaction score
We just moved to a new home after 20 years in a home with a dedicated hot water return / recirculating pump system. This new home (built 2014) has no recirc system despite being 4300 sf in size, and I guess we were spoiled before, because waiting several minutes for hot water to show up in the kitchen or bathroom now is driving us nuts. Wife not happy, life not happy!

Hoping to fix this without a long wait to get a plumber, I bought a DIY Watts 500800 system which has a pump to go on top the water heater, and a thermostatic bypass valve to go under the farthest sink. It doesn't need a dedicated return line.

So I got the hot water heater shut off and drained, took off the hot line and darned if it isn't a 1" fitting. The flex pipe to the house is also 1" (the house is PEX plumbed). But this pump has 3/4" in and out. Adapters from 1" to 3/4" aren't easily found at local hardware stores. Bad omen, and now I'm wondering if putting a 3/4" pump design in a 1" line will cause more problems than it solves?

I'm hoping for advice. Am I going down the wrong track? Or would you recommend just trying to find adapters and plunging ahead? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks