Hot water air bubbles after o3 install

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by MooseMan, Apr 27, 2021.

1. MooseMan

MooseMan New Member

I draw water from a lake. Recently, we had a whole house filtration / purification system installed (o3 generator, softener, UV lamp), including an RO system under the sink. Water is amazing.

But immediately after, I started getting air in the hot water line only. After some reading, I flushed the system (there was a lot of old sediment in the tank). Refilled it, and the same. It builds up just enough during the night to spit at you in the morning.

I'm wondering what the causes of this could be. Is it possible some loose oxygen from the o3 system is bonding to parts of the hot water heater and causing a reaction? Maybe this is just a coincidence and something else is to blame?

And if it is loose o3, could this have a long term impact on our copper plumbing?

Thanks in advance!

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Need to know what brand of o3 generator and model. Pic of installation of system.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. MooseMan

MooseMan New Member

Here's a picture. I exchanged notes with the installer today. They said this particular unit maintains a contained ozone bubble to prevent escaping to the plumbing. RE: the hot water they suggested I turn it back to 120/125 (I'm probably at 135 or so). This is consistent with something else I read about hot water reacting with the changed water chemistry. I think I'll know in the next day or so if that addresses it.

Attached Files: