Hole Saw Size for Tub Spout

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Weekend Handyman, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Weekend Handyman

Weekend Handyman Member

Hello:

I have to drill some holes into a Maax Utile wall. I am using a Moen Posi-Temp valve. Moen specifies a 4.5 inch hole for the valve. However, I am not sure on the size for the spout. I will be using 1/2 inch copper pipe with 2 copper male adapters. I was thinking 1 & 1/4, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Not critical. One inch is should be enough. You want to make sure the spout will cover the hole. Two copper male adapters soldered to a short pipe to make a custom-length nipple?

Weekend Handyman likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Weekend Handyman

Weekend Handyman Member

Thank you. Correct, 2 adapters & copper pipe to make a custom length nipple. Any issues with that approach?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that. Some spouts, like many of the Delta spouts, don't need precise length on the nipples. Many spouts do. If the nipple is a tad short, use more tape. If a tad long, use more torque.

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Agree with Reach4 on hole size. 1" is perfect as long as your spout isn't very close to that diameter. You want some overlap for sealant.

Most Moen tub spouts slip onto bare copper pipe with an internal adapter that is threaded into the tubspout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Weekend Handyman

Weekend Handyman Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I picked up a 1 inch hole saw. The spout that my comes with the kit has the female threads super deep in the spout. I would have much preferred a slip on. However, I generally do n0t get a say in these matters ;)

Jeff H Young likes this.
  8. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

forgot to push send but in total agreement 1 inch is perfect you could even use an IPS nipple and it would fit through hole .
    I've been changing tub and tub shower valves a lot the last month and they've all been threaded spouts and been doing 2 male adapters build your own nipple trick

9. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

In the above photos.. the Moen slip on spout adapter is threaded into those same threads. So they are adaptable. However, either you will get lucky and a single nipple will be the right length.. or you can use 2 nipples to vary the length within the spout body if you position a coupling near the wall.

Single nipple can be adjusted minutely by how far in its threaded.. same with the 2 nipple/coupling method.

10. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Good tip the coupling in the middle adds a bit more adjustment by having 2 more joints. varying amounts of thread tape or none at all just pipe dope to adjust length

Tuttles Revenge likes this.