Hole Saw Size for Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hello:

I have to drill some holes into a Maax Utile wall. I am using a Moen Posi-Temp valve. Moen specifies a 4.5 inch hole for the valve. However, I am not sure on the size for the spout. I will be using 1/2 inch copper pipe with 2 copper male adapters. I was thinking 1 & 1/4, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
However, I am not sure on the size for the spout. I will be using 1/2 inch copper pipe with 2 copper male adapters. I was thinking 1 & 1/4, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Not critical. One inch is should be enough. You want to make sure the spout will cover the hole. Two copper male adapters soldered to a short pipe to make a custom-length nipple?

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not critical. One inch is should be enough. You want to make sure the spout will cover the hole. Two copper male adapters soldered to a short pipe to make a custom-length nipple?
Thank you. Correct, 2 adapters & copper pipe to make a custom length nipple. Any issues with that approach?

Reach4

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. Some spouts, like many of the Delta spouts, don't need precise length on the nipples. Many spouts do. If the nipple is a tad short, use more tape. If a tad long, use more torque.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree with Reach4 on hole size. 1" is perfect as long as your spout isn't very close to that diameter. You want some overlap for sealant.

Most Moen tub spouts slip onto bare copper pipe with an internal adapter that is threaded into the tubspout.

moen-3931-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-3931-terrylove-02.jpg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I picked up a 1 inch hole saw. The spout that my comes with the kit has the female threads super deep in the spout. I would have much preferred a slip on. However, I generally do n0t get a say in these matters ;)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
forgot to push send but in total agreement 1 inch is perfect you could even use an IPS nipple and it would fit through hole .
I've been changing tub and tub shower valves a lot the last month and they've all been threaded spouts and been doing 2 male adapters build your own nipple trick

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the above photos.. the Moen slip on spout adapter is threaded into those same threads. So they are adaptable. However, either you will get lucky and a single nipple will be the right length.. or you can use 2 nipples to vary the length within the spout body if you position a coupling near the wall.

Single nipple can be adjusted minutely by how far in its threaded.. same with the 2 nipple/coupling method.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the above photos.. the Moen slip on spout adapter is threaded into those same threads. So they are adaptable. However, either you will get lucky and a single nipple will be the right length.. or you can use 2 nipples to vary the length within the spout body if you position a coupling near the wall.

Single nipple can be adjusted minutely by how far in its threaded.. same with the 2 nipple/coupling method.

Good tip the coupling in the middle adds a bit more adjustment by having 2 more joints. varying amounts of thread tape or none at all just pipe dope to adjust length

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks