High water pressure, Can anyone identify this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall Herron

Reaction score
This has been happening for a few weeks now and I can't find a solution. I'm afraid if this isn't fixed soon it's going to create leaks in my system.
Here's what I do know:
- I'm on county water...no well
- County pressure stays pretty consistent @ 95 PSI
- There is a pressure reducing valve set at 50 PSI, which appears to be functioning properly
- I have no known leaks anywhere
- This issue happens randomly, with or without water running, any time of day
- No plumbing work has been performed in the past 2 years
- I have attempted to purge for any potential air, didn't appear to be any trapped air.

Video link:

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a pressure reducing valve set at 50 PSI, which appears to be functioning properly
Why do you think that PRV is functioning properly? I would think it is not. I am not a plumber.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In addition to what Reach4 says: you can't assume that your inlet pressure is constant.
In the video, the water pressure gauge needle is going crazy. You most likely have a worn out regulator.
You can try to fix it, if you can find a repair kit for your PVR, and that could take some time - or you can replace it with just about any PVR and get it done today.
Cost? factor your time and waiting for parts... and see that you'll be better off replacing it today.

Reach4

Reaction score
Only because it responds correctly to adjustments and after running water it always returns to it's set pressure
I can't think of anything other than the PRV that could cause this.

Change the gauge first. If that's not it you'll have a spare.
I did not see that coming. Have you seen a mechanical gauge do something like this on its own?

Randall Herron

Reaction score
In addition to what Reach4 says: you can't assume that your inlet pressure is constant.
In the video, the water pressure gauge needle is going crazy. You most likely have a worn out regulator.
You can try to fix it, if you can find a repair kit for your PVR, and that could take some time - or you can replace it with just about any PVR and get it done today.
Cost? factor your time and waiting for parts... and see that you'll be better off replacing it today.
I should clarify "consistent", meaning that when the issue isn't happening it's very stable and consistent, when the issue occurs it's all over the gage. So without flow through the PRV, could it still behave that way?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you change the gauge first, I would opt for a liquid-filled gauge.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
If you change the gauge first, I would opt for a liquid-filled gauge.
Alrighty, sounds like I'm gonna start with a new gage...definitely liquid filled. If that doesn't cure it, then a new PRV.
Thanks guys and I'll post back in a few days with an update.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I replaced the gage and it's been over a week now with no recurrence of the issue. Thanks for the advice and fingers crossed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks