High-quality quarter turn valve recommendation needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am looking to add a 3/4 in quarter turn in-line valve to my main supply line. I am looking for a high-quality ball valve that will last and not leak for a long time. It needs to be sweat connection for copper and approved for potable water (i.e. low lead). All I can find at the local stores (including plumbing supply store) are Chinese-made valves with different brand names on them.

Is there a particularly good brand that you can recommend? I don't mind paying extra if it gives me a longer life.

Reaction score
Thank you. Exactly what I needed. My local Home Depot doesn't have it nor is it available for delivery in my area. Just as always! For whatever reason, many products on their website aren't made available to my region of the country.

I found the valve on Zoro and ordered it.

Mliu

Reaction score
Thank you. Exactly what I needed. My local Home Depot doesn't have it nor is it available for delivery in my area. Just as always! For whatever reason, many products on their website aren't made available to my region of the country.
You're welcome.

So you couldn't even order it online and have it delivered to your home or your local store? That's just weird. You're in Texas, not Hawaii or Alaska. Have you ever called to ask why they won't deliver to your area?

Reaction score
Nope. Their website will prevent me from ordering it online. It's a regional thing. I don't have time to waste to discuss it with HD only to get boilerplate answers with no solutions.
For a lot of plumbing supplies I like supplyhouse.com (got all my copper fittings and solder from them) but they don't stock that particular valve, only its leaded counterpart.

Mliu

Reaction score
Nope. Their website will prevent me from ordering it online. It's a regional thing. I don't have time to waste to discuss it with HD only to get boilerplate answers with no solutions.
For a lot of plumbing supplies I like supplyhouse.com (got all my copper fittings and solder from them) but they don't stock that particular valve, only its leaded counterpart.
I absolutely love SupplyHouse.com. A really great company with excellent customer service. Another company I really like is Supply.com.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if Texas is similar to Massachusetts where in MA, no plumbing bits can legally be installed unless they are listed on the state run database. Some manufacturers choose not to go to the trouble to get their products listed, and, while they may be great, because of that paperwork, aren't available, or at least shouldn't be installed. That, at least in MA, doesn't prevent a store from selling it, which is misleading to the average user. But, in MA, it's illegal to do any plumbing in even your own home unless you hold a MA plumbing license. Lots of people do, but that's another story. HD may be looking at that, but that's probably wishful thinking. TX does make it illegal to sell, install, import, resell, etc., certain valves, toilets, etc., unless they meet certain water use requirements which is stricter than most places except maybe CA. Existing uses are grandfathered, but you can't legally sell your old, non-complying bits.

Reaction score
Jim, I doubt that's the reason for this, though. The valve I bought has NSF 61 approval and should be ok.

When R8 flex duct for HVAC became the code here a few years back (or so), it took my Home Depot years to catch up and make it available. Until then, they kept selling non-code compliant R-6 flex duct. My Lowe's to this day still only sells the R-6 stuff.

Type K hard drawn copper tube which certainly is code-compliant is not available for special order via either HD or Lowe's in my area either! I had to go through a supply company to obtain it.

A few days back I went to my local plumbing supply store. They should know all about code compliance, right? Far from it. When I asked for their best in-line valve for potable water, they gave me one that said on the plastic bag in red lettering: "Not to be used for drinking water" I told the guy this is not legal to put in because of the lead content. He replied dryly: "That's weird. We've been selling them for a long time for this purpose." Commonly, people here don't read enough. It's a big problem. Manufacturers spell out a lot of things if one cares to read their paperwork.

I am in a "traditional" market wherein people elect to choose the cheapest stuff available. We're in a drought-prone area but I couldn't get one of the advanced water-saver toilets locally. Had to order everything online! Last time I went to a Menard's in Illinois I was pleasantly surprised at all the extra stuff they carried!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
My supplier sells Bugatti valves (I think from Italy).
Similar price to Eastman, much better quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks