Help with shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

etudenc

Reaction score
Hi all,

We moved into our "new" house last year and discovered too late that there was a leak under the tiled shower in the master bathroom. (FWIW, we believe the shower was installed somewhere between 2004 and 2007 when the master bath was built over the garage.)

After pulling out the drywall in the garage ceiling around the leak, we found it was mostly from the drain area but there were other areas of the sub-floor that were also wet. We've gotten so many quotes and opinions on what it would take to fix it that I decided to pull up a few tiles just to get a better sense of what's actually under the tile floor.

After a little Internet research I guessed that the drain assembly was a PlumBest D60 because our strainer matches the one that comes with the D60, but the D60 is made of cast iron and I'm not sure ours is. If you look at the attached photo, the area that's most magnetic is the reddish ring - the nut and surrounding metal around the nut is barely magnetic. Pretty sure the barrel is aluminum as it's not magnetic at all. The drain base is magnetic.

I also don't see any signs of collar bolts around the clamping ring (if it is indeed a clamping ring) - just the large nut that's surrounded by the weep holes. In the closeup photo, you'll see the blobby area where I scraped a little and it's now shiny. Does that mean it's a lead pan lining?

One of the repairmen who looked at it mentioned something about how years ago they would "solder" the lining onto the drain base - is that what the lumpy-looking stuff is? I thought the lining was supposed to go between the clamping ring and drain base but maybe that's not our setup.

Does this look familiar to anyone? Any suggestions? The two green rings indicate small holes in the blackish material that leads up to the red ring, so my guess is that we're going to have to tear up the tile floor and put in a new lining and drain assembly - seem right?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Attachments

• IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note exactly sure what you have there, but it looks more like a floor drain than a proper shower clamping drain. Suggest you move your discussion over to www.johnbridge.com, where the entire site is dedicated to tiling things, especially showers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks