Help with shallow well setup

Users who are viewing this thread

jack frost

Reaction score
I recently washed a 2" well to 60'. Water level is less than 10' deep. I need to use this well to fill up a pond, so I need to get max GPM. Pressure doesn't matter at all. No access to electricity so either the pump would need to be gas, or I can run a generator. Ideally, the pump would pull less than 30 amps so that i can run a quiet inverter generator. Right now, I'm pumping water with a 3" trash pump with a reducer that is borrowed. So the question is, what would be the best pump setup for max GPM?

jack frost

Reaction score
What GPM are you getting with the trash pump, and why isn't that sufficient?

I would say the trash pump is sufficient, but if there is a higher flow option I would prefer that. Also, the trash pump will have to be returned to its owner soon and I will need to purchase and install my own setup. Additionally, assuming i wouldn’t be losing volume, I would like an electric pump that would run on a Honda quiet generator.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
wouldn’t I want a shallow well jet pump?
not if you want any sort of high flow...IF trash pump is working now, that would be the cheapest and highest flow pump you could use. Northern Tool 2" semi trash runs about $450 and pumps around 1oo gpm.

jack frost

Reaction score
not if you want any sort of high flow...IF trash pump is working now, that would be the cheapest and highest flow pump you could use. Northern Tool 2" semi trash runs about $450 and pumps around 1oo gpm.

would I expect to get the same volume that I’m getting with the 3” trash pump with reducer?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
how much are you getting? Ballpark?? 10 gallon/min ? 50? 100?
how much did you reduce the suction side? What depth is your suction line?

under perfect conditions a 3" can do in the neighborhood of 200 gpm.....a 2" is around 150. I doubt you are operating anywhere near optimal conditions...but you would probably be lucky to get 25gpm from a shallow well jet pump that could run on an inverter generator.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
would I expect to get the same volume that I’m getting with the 3” trash pump with reducer?

I would suspect your 2” drop pipe will be the limiting factor not a 2” or 3” trash pump. I did 2” point this spring for a guy who needed water for dust control at is soil screening lot. It was 8’ to water and we tested with a 2” trash pump and got over 100 gpm. Ended up putting a Gould’s GT20 on it and it makes about 60 gpm at sprinkler pressure and about 90-100 gpm wide open. That being said it won’t run on a small inverter generator.

jack frost

Reaction score
how much are you getting? Ballpark?? 10 gallon/min ? 50? 100?
how much did you reduce the suction side? What depth is your suction line?

under perfect conditions a 3" can do in the neighborhood of 200 gpm.....a 2" is around 150. I doubt you are operating anywhere near optimal conditions...but you would probably be lucky to get 25gpm from a shallow well jet pump that could run on an inverter generator.

Sorry, not enough experience to even estimate...

that is the well setup

and that is how much flow I’m getting.

Suction side is just reduced to 2” to match the well pipe. Same with the discharge side. Well is 60’ to bottom of strainer. Water table at something like 6’ right now.

Reach4

Reaction score
wouldn’t I want a shallow well jet pump?
With a 2 inch well, you need a shallow well pump for your shallow water.

With a 3 inch well, you can stick a 2.9 OD SQ submersible pump down the well. Those take about 1/2 the power for the same flow*pressure as a jet pump. They are also soft start, and are very easy on the the generators.

The 22SQ05-40 grundfos 115v seems to be discontinued. I don't know what their most gpm for 1/2 hp 115 v is. If your generator can power a 230V pump, there are more choices.

The Grundfos 15SQ05-110 115V, 15GPM, 1/2HP, , 2 Wire, 96160169, 3" Stainless Steel Submersible Well Pumps is available, and would pump maybe 20 gpm for you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is 2" casing. Not large enough for a submersible. Greenmonster's idea of a Gator pump is probably best you can do. The GT07 is a 3/4HP what will probably run from your generator.

Measure that outflow in a bucket and you will know how much the 2" casing will supply as that is the limiting factor.

jack frost

Reaction score
It is 2" casing. Not large enough for a submersible. Greenmonster's idea of a Gator pump is probably best you can do. The GT07 is a 3/4HP what will probably run from your generator.

Measure that outflow in a bucket and you will know how much the 2" casing will supply as that is the limiting factor.

will get that done today or tomorrow and report back

another question... what is the right way to set up pipe between ground and the pump? I’m assuming I should put a check valve somewhere and some kind of way to prime?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A foot vale on the bottom of the suction pipe is best, and the only check valve needed in the system. You may need a special size check/foot valve to fit in the 2" casing. You do not want a check valve on the discharge side of the pump anywhere.

jack frost

Reaction score
A foot vale on the bottom of the suction pipe is best, and the only check valve needed in the system. You may need a special size check/foot valve to fit in the 2" casing. You do not want a check valve on the discharge side of the pump anywhere.

I think it’s too late for a foot valve since pipe is already in the ground? No actual casing around the well pipe so it’s there for good. I was thinking something like this?

Attachments

• E11E295E-E951-4513-A19B-97EA6E0CB8EE.gif
    E11E295E-E951-4513-A19B-97EA6E0CB8EE.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 254
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks