Help with new disposal trap configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Cpc745

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Getting very frustrated and just from looking through some posts i obviously have this wrong. Installed a new sink witha new disposal unit and am trying to configure the correct drain setup that doesnt leak and meets code...this is my current setup...so here are the problems

1. Where the drain pipe connects to the pvc it slowly leaks even after inserted a plastic gasket that came with a kit and wrenched down
2. The dishwasher is on the opposite side of the drain plug but i configured it this way as i thought it would be easier to connect to the floor drain and would route the dishwasher hose around. Havent ran the hose to the disposal yet for dishwasher

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_4775.JPG
    IMG_4775.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 227

Cpc745

Reaction score
First you have no vent so you need to install an AAV (air admittance valve).

How far does the PVC extend down the pipe?

I've had problems with just a chrome ring on the end of a pipe. Instead I use one of these adapters: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205971687-_-205214942-_-N

Thanks for the reply,

So i put the bevel edge of the washer in the wrong way that appears to have stopped the leak, i have abt 8 inches extending into the pipe

Would this setup also be appropriate for me for the aav?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_4-jpg.35835/

Stuff

Reaction score
Kind of strange to get water there if the PVC does go 8" down. I'm wondering if you have a restriction. How well does the drain work without running the disposal?

Yes, that picture is what you want.

Cpc745

Reaction score
Kind of strange to get water there if the PVC does go 8" down. I'm wondering if you have a restriction. How well does the drain work without running the disposal?

Yes, that picture is what you want.

Stuff,

Thanks again for the reply...so i woke up this morn and still had a water there, ran the water for abt 5 mins and came back abt 30 mins later and watched droplets slowly roll down from the slip nut and "sit" in the chrome ring...removed the pvc again and no sitting water in the pipe but realized i didnt have a washer in with the nut that attaches to the trap...went to the depot and bought one so far so good until i add the AAV tommorrow...otherwise water appears to drain without disposal

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The picture at your answer #3 is a good representation of how to do it. It will allow you to add the AAV fairly easily.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks