Help with Leviton Decora 3-pole smart dimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonG2020

Reaction score
I'm at wit's end trying to install a Leviton Decora smart 3-pole switch (DW6HD-1BZ) and dimmer remote DD00R-DLZ. After much trial and error, I finally got the main controller to control the light, but the remote dimmer control does not work. Also, it appears that the controller is limiting voltage to ceiling fixture (which has two LEDs), because they are not as bright as they were previously.

The dimmer box had three wires, black, red, and white. I think the white wire was connected as “line,” because it was wired to the black screw on the original switch. I thought it was neutral, but there was a bundle of neutral wires pushed into the box. Once I added a jumper wire to that bundle and connected it to the remote dimmer neutral input, the light begin working (previously, it did not). But the remote dimmer still refuses to function. Based on a Youtube video, I placed the pre-existing white wire on the same post as the black traveler wire, and the red is on another post. This mirrors the original setup, in which the red and black were configured as travelers and the white wire was line. As it stands, the main dimmer switch will dim the light, but the remote does not. Any assistance someone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've spent hours going back and forth to the breaker figuring out which wire is which.

Dimmer Remote
Neutral
Red Traveler
Black Traveler
White (common?)

Main Dimmer
Black Line
Load
Neutral
Red Traveler
Black Takeoff (powers another fixture, not sure if it's daisychained to remote dimmer as well?)

Stuff

Reaction score
For these both the dimmer and the remote need both hot and neutral. The dimmer's red feeds the lights. Then the yellow/red wires need to connect the dimmer to its remote (makes sense to use red). This does require a lot of thought to sort out. Does the remote have only red, white and black? If so then just match to what is in the main box. There was likely a wire splice to this feed that needs removed. Pictures might help.

https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/DW6HD_Tsht_BW_v1p31.pdf
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 4.54.16 PM.png

JasonG2020

Reaction score
I kept forgetting to get photos during the day, when there's actually enough light.

I hope these help.

Attachments

• DimmerMaster_Line.jpg
    DimmerMaster_Line.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DimmerMaster_Load.jpg
    DimmerMaster_Load.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DimmerRemote_Line.jpg
    DimmerRemote_Line.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DimmerRemote_Neutral.jpg
    DimmerRemote_Neutral.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 204

Stuff

Reaction score
That is a mess of wires. I assume the old three way switches were standard and you had a two travelers but now you only need one.

Using black wires as neutral jumpers is confusing and against code.

I'm surprised you didn't trip a breaker with you trials and errors. I think you have the traveler and fixture load reversed on the master switch.
Then at the remote switch you should not be tying into the other white neutrals. You have white, black, and red which should go to neutral, line, and traveler with no other connections. Then make sure those three go to the same place on the master.

Keep in mind that with traditional 3-way switches there are 2 travelers but with these Levitons there is only one.

Lastly, for safety all grounds are supposed to be connected in each box.

Last edited:

JasonG2020

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I was finally able to figure it out. You were right about the load. On the original setup, the white wire was tied to load on one end and common on the other. Once I identified the correct load wire, everything else fell into place. I got rid of the black jumper, as it was no longer needed. I never intended to leave it like that, I just used what wires I had to get it working before I closed everything up. Thanks again for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks