Help!! Two Inch Well Having Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckB

Reaction score
I live in an area with no city water (Loxahatchee, Florida)
.. we all have wells out here.

I don't drink the well water, I buy bottled water. I have been here for over 20 years and do all my pump repairs. My father was a well driller (irrigation, not home water systems) and had his own business for over 30 years. Wish he was here, truly missed, plus I could ask him these questions, and borrow his well rig :)

My well is a 2" sand point at about 60 feet deep (typical for the area)I had a 1 HP jet pump and had pretty decent water.. It was my second pump in 20 years and I figured it was time for a new one. I opted for a 1 1/2 pump..thinking that bigger is better.. apparently a big mistake.. my water quality is very poor.. I am pumping what appears to be sulfur (black in color) and some sediment, apparently for the extra pumping power of this pump.

I have tried letting the pump run for hours and even hooked the well to my sprinkler pump to see if it clears up with no luck.. I have benn dealing with this for 8 months or so..

If I got ahold of a pump-out pump and pumped the well out, would it help? Would going back to a 1 HP put things right? Is my well ruined?

Thanks ChuckB

Last edited:

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
I will take a stab at your problem.

Is your well steel or pvc casing?
If it's steel, it may have a hole in the casing letting in the sediment.

Changing to a larger pump should not have caused your problem, unless the added water through the screen is washing out sediment that was always there. It's just now that more water is coming out of the well, it is pulling it in. I would think it should have stopped by now.

I am going to say it may have a hole in the casing.

Usually sulfur is in a gas form, and it will turn stuff black, and stink of rotten eggs.

Travis

ChuckB

Reaction score
I will take a stab at your problem.

Is your well steel or pvc casing?
If it's steel, it may have a hole in the casing letting in the sediment.

Changing to a larger pump should not have caused your problem, unless the added water through the screen is washing out sediment that was always there. It's just now that more water is coming out of the well, it is pulling it in. I would think it should have stopped by now.

I am going to say it may have a hole in the casing.

Usually sulfur is in a gas form, and it will turn stuff black, and stink of rotten eggs.

Travis

thanks for the reply.. I'm pretty sure its steel.

the black stuff is flakey.. always thought it was sulfur.. my water does smell like rotten eggs though.. ChuckB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks