Help planning a lighting circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
Here's a question for you electricians.

I am planning out the lighting circuits in my small house in the country, and I am trying to figure out how many lights to put on each circuit. I know to calculate the wattage of the fixtures and use that to help get the numbers.

My question is, what wattage do you plan for on the individual light fixtures? I bought 4 100 watt fixtures, however I only plan to use LEDs. I believe those LEDs only run 15 watts. So do you plan for a 100 watt fixture or a 15 watt? If you plan for a 15 watt fixture, you could almost wire the whole house on one circuit. But if you plan for the old 100 watt bulbs, then you will be somewhat limited.

I guess I am curious what is the common way to plan out light circuits in new construction, today. How much do you take into consideration the new LEDs?

I don't plan to ever use anything other than LEDs (unless there is something else more efficient that comes along). I just don't want to create any headaches for myself down the road.

Stuff

Reaction score
For residential lights normally go on the same circuit that the wall receptacles are on for that room (other than kitchen/dining) so isn't a consideration. Giving lighting their own circuit takes more wire, is more work, isn't needed, and costs money.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Wattage is alway the MAX WATTS the fixture is designed for thought a 100 watt fixture uses a 15 watt LED equivalent. A rule of thumb for spacings of recessed fixtures is about 8 feet apart if the ceiling is 8 feet high. As Stuff suggest, tie the ceiling lights with the outlets. Try to split the circuits so at least two breakers serve the outlets per room. If a breaker trips, you'll won't be completely in the dark. Sub a ceiling fixture for an outlet. 1 lighg fixture 7 outlets.

A google search:
Technically, you can have as many outlets on a 15 amp circuit breaker as you want. However, a good rule of thumb is 1 outlet per 1.5 amps, up to 80% of the capacity of the circuit breaker. Therefore, we would suggest a maximum of 8 outlets for a 15 amp circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks