Help needed to prevent a Delta bathtub faucet handle from leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg A

Reaction score
I have a typical bathtub with Delta faucet handles. See pic #1

I removed everything and was all set to remove the valve stem so I could replace the o-ring when I ran into a problem. See pic #2

To my surprise, the valve stem doesn't have anything for a shower valve socket wrench to grab onto. Is this normal? Do I need to continue taking apart the valve stem to get to the o-ring?

What I hoped would be a simple job has now turned into a headache. If I ultimately need to remove the valve stem, I am at a loss as to how I can do this without tearing up the time that surrounds the handle or the wall above the handles. I am very hesitant to try to use a wrench on the valve stem because I fear that will damage the threads.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Plumbing 1.jpg
    Plumbing 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 365
  • Plumbing 2.jpg
    Plumbing 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 373

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Once you get to that stage, you PULL the stem out. When you put the new one in, be sure the "raised handle stop" is in the same orientation or the hancle will work backwards.

Greg A

Reaction score
Once you get to that stage, you PULL the stem out. When you put the new one in, be sure the "raised handle stop" is in the same orientation or the hancle will work backwards.

PULL? Well that makes me feel kind of ...... silly. Thanks for the response!!
As per your comment about putting the new one in, are you suggesting I purchase an entirely new part after I pull it out or am I correct in assuming I can replace the rubber washer and keep the existing part?

Reach4

Reaction score
PULL? Well that makes me feel kind of ...... silly. Thanks for the response!!
As per your comment about putting the new one in, are you suggesting I purchase an entirely new part after I pull it out or am I correct in assuming I can replace the rubber washer and keep the existing part?
The original owner can call up for free replacement parts.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the stem has a metal bottom, you should be able to reuse it. If it is all plastic then I would replace it. In any case you have to replace the rubber seats and springs.

Greg A

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your excellent feedback. I replaced the stems, the springs and the rubber seats and stopped my drip! Again, thanks for the feedback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks