Help needed to prevent a Delta bathtub faucet handle from leaking

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Greg A, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Greg A

Greg A New Member

I have a typical bathtub with Delta faucet handles. See pic #1

I removed everything and was all set to remove the valve stem so I could replace the o-ring when I ran into a problem. See pic #2

To my surprise, the valve stem doesn't have anything for a shower valve socket wrench to grab onto. Is this normal? Do I need to continue taking apart the valve stem to get to the o-ring?

What I hoped would be a simple job has now turned into a headache. If I ultimately need to remove the valve stem, I am at a loss as to how I can do this without tearing up the time that surrounds the handle or the wall above the handles. I am very hesitant to try to use a wrench on the valve stem because I fear that will damage the threads.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Once you get to that stage, you PULL the stem out. When you put the new one in, be sure the "raised handle stop" is in the same orientation or the hancle will work backwards.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Greg A

Greg A New Member

PULL? Well that makes me feel kind of ...... silly. Thanks for the response!!
    As per your comment about putting the new one in, are you suggesting I purchase an entirely new part after I pull it out or am I correct in assuming I can replace the rubber washer and keep the existing part?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The original owner can call up for free replacement parts.

6. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

You don't just replace a washer. You pull the stem out and replace the whole thing
    http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...Repair-Cartridges-Stems/Delta/N-5yc1vZcf5nZg2

7. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    My best advice is that
    you might be wise to call a plumber in your area before you totally
    flood out your home and it cost you big $$$

just saying....

8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    If the stem has a metal bottom, you should be able to reuse it. If it is all plastic then I would replace it. In any case you have to replace the rubber seats and springs.

9. Greg A

Greg A New Member

Thanks to all for your excellent feedback. I replaced the stems, the springs and the rubber seats and stopped my drip! Again, thanks for the feedback.