Help! My toilet is <15" from my shower

Users who are viewing this thread

will83

Reaction score
I have a small problem with my shower renovation.

I didn't realize that my kerdi shower kit would be wider than my original tub, but it is wider by about the 5", or the width of the curb. This means that my toilet would be <15" from the glass surround, and as a result, I wouldn't be up to code. There's no space to move the toilet over to the other side, as there's a single vanity there.

Yes, yes - I should've done my research before, but I missed this. So now I have to deal with the repercussions and figure out the best way to move forward.

The way I see it I have three options (I have attached sketch of each option):

One: Cut the shower basin kit by 3" on one side so that I can continue to work with the supplied curb. My fear is that the off centered shower faucets and drain would be very noticeable to the naked eye, however, it seems that by doing so the faucets would actually be centered on between the tiled wall and the glass door. So it's just the drain that would be a bit off.

Two: Cut the shower basin by 2" on one side and build myself a more narrow curb out of 2x4's. I would cover the curb drywall and cover that with kerdi. I'm not sure if the 1" savings would make much of a difference in terms of being able to notice that the drain is off center, but I don't really like how wide the supplied curb is anyway (nor do I really like the height). What are the minimum width & height of a crub, anyway?

Three: Move my faucets and drain 1 or 1 1/2" more towards the wall. This would enable me to cut the shower basin on both sides, and center the drain in the resized shower basin. Seems like a lot of work for a marginal improvement in centering, especially as compared to option #2.

---

Which option would you recommend, and why?

1 Current.png2 Option 1.png3 Option 2.png4 Option 3.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that I'd scrap the foam curb and make a new one. Note, though, that it is possible to cut the curb in both height and width (width would need to come out of the middle as a slice, though). Cutting nice and straight is easy with a table saw, but can be done with a circular saw and a straightedge. You want the curb to be at least 3" above the pan. If you slice a section out of the curb, just put some thinset on that joint when setting it. Between that and the thinset on the floor plus the Kerdi fabric, it will be fine. You could use Kerdifix to hold the thing together, but since it's going to be covered with the membrane, that's kind of overkill, but the KerdiFix is a REALLY strong adhesive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks