HELP! Mosaic tiling down to the tub!

Users who are viewing this thread

Pandyandy

Reaction score
I've been working on my upstairs bathroom for about a month and I'm at a stand still, I'm tiling the walls down to the bathtub, I got most of it done but I'm stuck! I know I'm not a professional, I wish I could afford one but something had to happen in that bathroom there was mold when we moved in 2 months ago. So back on topic,I got a nice big new tub and put it in then I got the Becker board and put it up, I mortared and put up all the mosaic glass tiles and it looks wonderful I just have one issue I need to solve before moving onto the grout so here goes! (Please no judgment, I know a professional would have came out with different results but as I said I can't afford that right now and something needed to happen) I was having trouble figuring out the lip and where the Becker board goes and after a lot of googling and reading the instructions on the bathtub I decided to bring the Becker board down to the the top lip of the tub and not down over it because of how thick the lip is, but on the long wall going across the tile does not come down even with the tub(I will attach photos) there is about a half a centimeter to a centimeter of space between the back of the bottom row of tiles and the bathtub, I know if I grout something like this it will not be waterproof and there will be an gap for stuff to grow. So my question is, does anybody have an idea as to what I can use behind the bottom row of tiles to keep it level with the rest of the wall and not pushed in? I was wondering if I could squeeze a bead of silicone in there and let it dry where the tile needs to be or maybe the puff stuff that expands with air? Any ideas I'm willing to explore I'd just like to get this bathroom done already!!
20170909_092704.jpg
20170909_092528.jpg
20170909_092704.jpg
20170909_092528.jpg
20170909_092704.jpg
20170909_092528.jpg
20170909_092502.jpg
20170909_092704.jpg
20170909_092528.jpg
20170909_092502.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- Did you fasten the CBU to the studs?
- Now spread thin set on the CBU with a trowel and place the tiles onto the thin set. The tiles must sit in thin set to stick to the board.
- Wait a few days before grouting.
- Use a bead of caulking with silicone or caulking strip to seal, around the tub and up the corners.

General info: I prefer larger tiles than 1x1 mosaic, they are easier to attach and to keep plumbed.

Check out bridgetileforum for more advice - they cover this topic extensively.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The general guideline on this is to not cantilever a tile more than 1/2 of its size...you only have maybe 1/4 of the tile supported on the wall, if that. Also, is there any moisture barrier installed behind the cement board? Typically, when using that method, you bring that down over the tiling flange of the tub and then cut it off so it's hidden when you finish that seam up. Industry guidelines call for the joint between different materials and in corners to be caulked, not grouted. FWIW, neither tile nor grout is generally considered waterproofing (although glass tile is, the grout joints won't be).

You can try to stuff some thinset behind the bottom row of tile, but you do want a small gap between it and the tub deck. That joint should be caulked. Trying to add something like spray foam would be a disaster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks