Help - mold and odor in unused bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyhem500

Reaction score
Hi all

My daughter has been staying with her in-laws the past few months during the coronavirus pandemic. She was instructed to work from home and they have been assisting her with childcare.

She asked me to go by her condo today and I was instantly hit with an awful stale smell. I went into the bathroom and discovered bugs and mold. It looks like there was a single piece of toilet paper left in the toilet bowl and it has led to mold growth. Her 2 y/o likes to throw toilet paper sheets into the toilet so I assume that is what happened. I’m sure the smell is the result of the traps drying out and poured several cups of water into the drains.

What can be done with the toilet? I’ve never encountered this issue before as I never leave my home for Long stretches of time. Is it safe to clean or should I call in mold professionals/professional cleaners? I’m not even sure I could get anyone to come out, given all the restrictions with the coronavirus.

She has been away for nearly 4 months now. I’m not usually squeamish with this kind of thing, but I’m pretty disgusted. We live in a humid climate too so I’m sure that doesn’t help with the smell.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would put a small pool chlorine tablet in the bowl, and close the lid to reduce evaporation. You could also put a piece of cling plastic wrap over the rim of the bowl. Make sure the future users know to remove the plastic before use. Make it visible with a sign or markings.

I might do that chlorine tablet in the tank, but chlorine deteriorates the rubbers. I am not a pro.

Run the AC to dehumidify a bit, or open a couple screened windows to let air flow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink will need water added to it to replenish water in the p-trap to block sewer gas into the room, as well as water in the toilet bowl to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. If there is a shower or floor drain, those need refilling too.
Rubber gloves and dish soap from the kitchen with a nylon bristol brush to clean with.

Last edited:

Tyhem500

Reaction score
Hi t
The sink will need water added to it to replenish water the p-trap to block sewer gas into the room, as well as water in the toilet bowl to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. If there is a shower or floor drain, those need refilling too.
Rubber gloves and dish soap from the kitchen with a nylon bristol brush to clean with.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your response! Should I use the dish soap to clean the drains or the toilet? There is visible mold in the toilet so I thought to clean it with bleach. Should I just pour water into the toilet first before treating to block the sewage smell?

I stayed here for 1 day and I feel quite nauseous still. Will the smell dissipate? Is this something that I can safely do myself or should I just call in professionals?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The first thing that you can do is put water in the toilet and the sink. Water is what stops the sewer gas from entering the home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks