Help me figure out how to pull deep well lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Caleb32

Reaction score
All, for the last couple of years, I have had to gradually turn my water pressure down on my 1/2 hp convertible deep jet well pump. I had to turn it down from 30/50 to 20/40, at the pressure switch, or the pump would just continue to run. When we would do laundry the pump could not keep pressure and would drop to low pressure and would surge trying to keep up. Eventually, the seal went bad and started to leak.

So, the other day, I bought a new 1 hp pump thinking this would solve my issue. I installed it and the same thing occurs. When i took a shower today the pump ran so low it lost prime.

I figured that it must have something to do with the ejector in the well or a clogged screen on the foot valve. (The water pressure remains at a constant when I turn the pump off at the breaker, so I imagine there isn't a leak in the system-I have also sprayed soapy water at all connections to the pump and piping and have found no leaks) I spent all morning digging a pit to try and find the well head (it is buried in the ground). I eventually found it and am confused how to continue pulling the lines.

The first pic (well 4) shows the giant crater I had to dig to reach the well head.

well4.jpg
well 1.jpg

The photo above shows the 1 1/4 line that runs horizontal into the basement of the house and to the deep well jet pump, the 1 " line is directly below it. I assume these nipples thread out (you can barely see the threads in the picture) which would disconnect the horizontal lines from the well. However i am afraid to do this. I am not sure how the vertical lines connect to the well.

well2.jpg

I am guessing this square fitting is for a wrench and it unthreads a cap to prime the vertical line?

well3.jpg

Below the top portion of the well head are three bolts in a triangular pattern. I assume I must remove these to pull the well lines. If that is the case, how are the vertical lines connected to the well so that they make a union with the horizontal lines?

I am just afraid to undo the horizontal lines and then the vertical lines fall into the well. Have never down something like this before, so I am being extra cautious. Thanks for the help.

Caleb

Reach4

Reaction score
index.php

Is your casing about 2.375 inch OD steel under the the adapter?
Maybe it is one of these:
Sta-Rite J216-44 shown.
resize

FLINT & WALLING 127025

Last edited:

Caleb32

Reaction score
Yes, that looks exactly like what I have. So I essentially have a shallow well? I am confused as to where my ejector would go. It can't go on the pump because there is two lines, but it also cannot go in the well because there is only a single line (based on the drawing). I am now even more confused.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, that looks exactly like what I have. So I essentially have a shallow well? I am confused as to where my ejector would go. It can't go on the pump because there is two lines, but it also cannot go in the well because there is only a single line (based on the drawing). I am now even more confused.
That does not imply a shallow well. It tends to imply a "deep well" which is a well where the water level in the well cannot be relied on to stay no more than about 25 ft below the altitude of the pump. It is not a 200 ft deep well, but it could be maybe 90. Maybe 40. There may be local records that tell you how deep the well is.

I have not seen one of these for real. It looks to me as if you could disconnect the side pipes, you could loosen the 3 bolts, and lift, without danger of releasing pipes to fall down the well. I am not a well person or other pro. I don't know how you would disconnect the side pipes if there is no nearby union.

I don't know if that plug is there for priming, or if it might be there as a lifting attachment point.

There would only be one pipe in addition to the 2 inch steel casing pipe.

There would be something to be said for getting a new well with 5 inch PVC casing and appropriate bottom screen and appropriate "gravel" which might look more like really course sand rather than what you usually picture when hearing the word "gravel".

This new well would extend above ground, and the submersible pump would hang from a pitless adapter. This would be a worthwhile upgrade for the house. IMO, it is the kind of thing that is worth borrowing for, as opposed to borrowing for a new car. I don't have a budgetary number.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks