Help converting T8 fluorescent to LED

Users who are viewing this thread

hilander987

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with kitchen lights. I'm in an apartment unit that used a light fixture with 2 t8 fluorescent bulbs (with electronic instant start ballast). I want to replace them with led bulbs. I removed the ballast and direct wired the tombstones (shunted), and the lights aren't coming on.

Here's the bulb I'm trying to install
https://www.ledmyplace.com/products...clear-dual-ended-power?variant=30107817345089

here's the bulbs currently in the fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-21777-FO32-830-ECO/dp/B07R623YPK

direct wire config: 2 Blue wires on hot (black) one red wire on neutral (white)
the tombstones, being shunted, and 1 blue wire coming from each Left tombstone, whereas the right side has a red wire coming from one tombstone, but a blue with black striped wire connecting the 2.

Fitter30

Reaction score
According to their bypass ballast diagram both pins on each side of the led bulb are tied together. One side get the hot the other neutral. Some of the tombstone sockets already have both pins powered together.

hilander987

Reaction score
yes, i have them wired correctly, they just dont come on. I tested a multimeter to the tombstone contacts and the wires and im getting no reading. But when attatched tot he main Hot and Neurtal i get 120v, which one would argue there is no power being supplied tot he tombstones, however the old flourescent bulbs worked fine (with ballast of course) the removal of the ballast couldnt of done anything to the power supply?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You are miss wired and I think your getting confused with the wire colors from the tombstones. I've replace hundreds of T12 to LED T8. First remove all wires from the tombstones. This video shows how, very simple.

Using the old ballast wires try to use the black and white wires. Insert the ballast wire in the correct side of the tomestone. You need only about 1/4" inch stripped back. Be sure that one end of the LED tube is for 120v is the black wire, the other side is the the neutral, (white). The LED tube only one pin on the end is used so using shunted tombstones doesn't matter but most are non-shunted. You can easily use a short length of ballast wire to jump across the tombstones and it becomes shunted. On these type of LED tubes the unused pin are not connected. After install with a sharpie pen, make a note how the pins are wire. Many LED tubes the hot and neutral are on one end only.

It is easy to miss wire to the wrong pin. As you look down at the wiring diagram and then look up, and I've done it a few times, you can get the power to the wrong pins.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks