Help! Broken flange that was resting on crumbling mortar, bolt down drain!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My dear husband removed one of our upstairs toilets that was rocking and had a slow leak (evidenced by staining of adjacent grout lines and ceiling below!) The plastic toilet flange was resting above the finished ceramic tile floor and was broken. The flange appears to be resting on the tile's mortar bed, rather than on tile--you can see in the photo where the broken part was removed. How can we fix this situation? What kind of flange should we get? Is this a job only for an experienced plumber, or can the average do-it-yourselfer handle a flange replacement?

Also--while he was trying to get the wax out of the soil pipe/drain a bolt fell down the soil pipe! Then, a small piece of wax fell in! The drain takes a turn about 16" under, and we can see the piece of wax sitting there on the bend, but can't reach it. We don't see the bolt (which was brass, btw, so a magnet won't work.)

Any suggestions? We are tight for cash, so would prefer not to call a plumber unless necessary (sorry guys, but husband was laid off and has been very underemployed.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_1905.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You can use a flange repair device to hold the closet bolts, such as Superior 21015 or DANCO Model 10672X

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach4 ! I found the Danco one on Home Depot's website and read through the questions and answers and watched the video. It looks like it might just do the trick! Thanks so much.
Now about the bolt and wax in the pipe--any suggestions?
Thanks.

MKS

Reaction score
The wax is not likely an issue. The bolt maybe retrievable with a magnet on the the end of a flexible spring type tool, automotive type tool.

Fun2Learn

Reaction score
We still haven't installed the toilet yet. I bought one of those gadgets designed to retrieve things that fall down sink drains and was able to get the wax chunk out. However, we can't see the bolt and couldn't get it using the gadget, which has a retractable claw. I will try the duct tape idea and the shop vac, but I have a feeling that it may have already gone out of reach. Judging from the size of the other bolt, it is only 2" long and the drain pipe is 3" inside diameter. Is the bolt likely going to cause a problem or will it just end up safely in my septic tank? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the bolt likely going to cause a problem or will it just end up safely in my septic tank?
With 3 inch pipe all downhill, it sure seems to me that it will make its way to the septic tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks