Hartell Pump Malfunction

Users who are viewing this thread

Ecove

Reaction score
Hello Plumbing Community,
I'm relative handy but a DIYer and nowhere near a professional so apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Was hoping to ask the group about where to begin with a Hartell LTP-1 pump that seems to malfunction. We have a small wet bar/sink on our main floor that drains to the basement where the pump relays the drainage about 40 or so feet through the ceiling of the garage to the main drain pipe. The problem is, the pump doesn't routinely come on and seems to turn on sporadically/inconsistently. For example, I can run the sink until it fills up with a gallon or two and the pump doesn't come on. The water sits there. Then suddenly, out of the blue maybe 15 minutes later, the pump will trigger on, sucking the water out of the sink and downstream. I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason to why it will come on.

We moved in to this house only six months ago so I don't have any context of how this pump has historically worked. And it seems to have been malfunctioning from the time we bought the house, as that sink has always backed up. We just thought it might need to be de-clogged.

I figured I could start by taking it apart and see if the float is malfunctioning but it doesn't seem like that would be the issue since I know the pump tank is full up when the sink is backed up.

Any advice on where to begin or common pitfalls for this sort of issue?
Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
If we call the whole Hartell LTP-1 assembly a pump, very probably yes. If we are troubleshooting to the components within the assembly, there is a good chance that the component that failed is the switch.

Much less likely is that the power to the unit is intermittent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks