Harder water after softening

Users who are viewing this thread

JuliaW

Reaction score
Hello All. We installed a Fleck 5600sxt 2 years ago. Just recently I started noticing horrible scale on my faucets and other objects. I just tested my water and it is actually harder AFTER it's been "softened". My unfiltered water is 550ppm and the treated water is 670ppm. I have added Res Care 3x and run a manual regen 5x in 3 days with no change. The brine tank draws down during the brine draw, so that doesn't seem yo be the problem. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
TDS does not measure hardness. A softener uses an ion exchange, exchanging sodium ions for calcium and magnesium ions. There will be some sodium salt left in the water. When that dries, expect a residue, but a wet cloth will wipe that off. A softener will normally increase TDS some.

Get a Hach 5-B kit to measure hardness.

A TDS meter is appropriate for checking the output of a reverse osmosis system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks