GFCI wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

bradleyheathhays

Reaction score
Installed a new Cooper ShockSentry GFCI / DDFT / ICTA outlet in an outlet box that had no ground. White to silver and black to gold, without being grounded will this outlet trip correctly? It'll be handling close to a 10 amp load powering a large aquarium.

Reaction score
You are good to go.

The only problem, and it is not much of one, is that the test requires a ground to shunt a little current from the hot to ground, which you don't have.

I use a plug in polarity tester that also tests gfis, and it won't test if there is not a ground, for the same reason.

You have made the outlet infinitely safer by putting in the gfi.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A GFCI trips when the current on the hot and neutral are different. In a properly working circuit, all of the power that goes into it on the hot lead must return on the neutral. When they get out of balance, that means some has 'faulted' to ground, and it 'interrupts' the circuit (i.e., trips). Most work when that difference exceeds about 0.005A (5ma). It does not need a ground to cause it to trip at the device. Overloading the device will (or at least should) cause the circuit breaker or fuse to shut off power as well - two different things - one is protecting you (or your fish!), and the second is protecting the wiring from overheating.

THey work. The receptacle should be marked with one of the labels that came with it indicating it does not have a ground wire attached.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You are good to go.

The only problem, and it is not much of one, is that the test requires a ground to shunt a little current from the hot to ground, which you don't have.

I use a plug in polarity tester that also tests gfis, and it won't test if there is not a ground, for the same reason.
A real good reason if you happen to be pushing the test button and touching a grounded/earthed metal cover plate at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks