Gfci issue or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
We have been having an issue regarding our swimming pool filter at first the issue was a nicked wire under the ground that was getting wet we had that issue taken care of but what's happening is the GFI is kicking off at different times for example on Sunday we ran the filter for over 10 hours and that was even with rain during the day yesterday morning when I got up the GFI have been tripped I reset it yesterday morning it ran for several hours and then tripped my wife reset it it ran again for several hours and tripped kind of have the same situation today ran a couple hours tripped reset it ran a couple hours and tripped and then when my life went down to reset it it tripped right away I reset it when I came home from work and it ran about 20 minutes and tripped. So I don't know if I should replace the GFI just wondering if there's anything else that I can look at. Definitely don't think it was an issue with any kind of moisture as today was very dry here.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
We have been having an issue regarding our swimming pool filter at first the issue was a nicked wire under the ground that was getting wet we had that issue taken care of but what's happening is the GFI is kicking off at different times for example on Sunday we ran the filter for over 10 hours and that was even with rain during the day yesterday morning when I got up the GFI have been tripped I reset it yesterday morning it ran for several hours and then tripped my wife reset it it ran again for several hours and tripped kind of have the same situation today ran a couple hours tripped reset it ran a couple hours and tripped and then when my life went down to reset it it tripped right away I reset it when I came home from work and it ran about 20 minutes and tripped. So I don't know if I should replace the GFI just wondering if there's anything else that I can look at. Definitely don't think it was an issue with any kind of moisture as today was very dry here.

Do you have any pool lighting on that circuit ?

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
Do you have any pool lighting on that circuit ?
No sir. This might be a stupid question but I just noticed that in my shed which is after the G.F.I. but on the same circuit, that the bottom receptacle does not work when anything is plugged into it but the top one does. Could this be somehow causing this problem.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Open up that receptacle and inspect it. It could be corrosion but look at the hot side (brass color screws) and see if the jumper strap is cut between the screws. If there are two black wires with the jumper cut then the lower half is on a wall switch. Are there any lights that work on a timer or photocell past the GFCI? Does the pool pump switch on or off with a timer?

I would replace the the outlet with a weather resistant unit. For the GFCI they do go bad but it is hard to tell what is making it trip. It could be the pool motor causing it to trip but the first thing is remove the wire on the load side of the GFCI if anything downstream doesn't need power. Run the pump a few days, if it doesn't trip at least it is not the pool pump and replace any receptacles and switches from there. If it still trips replace the GFCI with a 20a rated weather resistant unit. Even if you're on a 15 amp circuit the 20 amp units are more robust and WR ones have better components to resist corrosion. If it still trips then the pool pump may need to be opened and check the start capacitor or the commutator/brushes are wearing out. It is possible the GFCI trips when the motor starts up or when it is shut off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I fought with a GFCI problem for awhile...it was not the GFCI...it was a problem in the wiring. Since that run was behind finished walls, I ended up just abandoning that cable, and ran a new one. Things have worked fine since. It could have been a nail or staple, or who knows what...it occasionally would cause the GFCI to trip...maybe as the temperature changed and things expanded or contracted, or the wind blew just so, and things moved microscopically...it was enough to affect some damaged insulation somewhere...don't know.

It only takes a bit over 0.005A (5ma) for a GFCI to trip if power goes outside of where it should. All of the power that goes out on the hot, must return on the neutral, or it is leaking somewhere...that's what a GFCI is designed to test and protect you from...that stray current that is leaking where it is not supposed to. It's supposed to trip quick enough and at a low enough level so you cannot be electrocuted if there's a fault somewhere...generally, they're pretty reliable.

DonL

Reaction score
No sir. This might be a stupid question but I just noticed that in my shed which is after the G.F.I. but on the same circuit, that the bottom receptacle does not work when anything is plugged into it but the top one does. Could this be somehow causing this problem.

Yes it could cause problems.

I would say that your GFCI is bad. It is cheap enough to replace.

Another thing, Some do not like a motor load. Make sure it is rated for your motor HP load.

Last edited:

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
First of all, thank you to everyone offering suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it. Going to check out everything that was suggested. To answer your question Worth Florida, there are no lights past the GFCI. The pump does turn on using a timer, but I removed it on Tuesday when I got home to see if maybe that was the problem. I plugged the pump directly into the GFCI and it ran for about 20 minutes and shut off. I reset it and again it ran for about 20 minutes and the GFCI tripped again. Yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m. I reset the GFCI to turn the pump on and it ran all day until I turned it off at 7:30 p.m.. So as you can imagine I'm ready to pull my hair out.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you can run an extension cord to the pump from another GFCI if you have one. Most pool pumps have a rear removable cover to the get to the electrical connections and the cover also protects a centrifugal switch with exposed contacts. This switches out the start capacitor but the contacts still have power to them. The area might be full of crud.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try unplugging the pump. Measure the resistance from each flat blade to the ground electrode on the plug. What do you measure? Adjust the range if necessary to get a reading. If you get no non-infinite reading, your meter or test leads are probably defective.

If you don't have a suitable multimeter, it is time to get one or to borrow one from a friend.

DonL

Reaction score
I reset the GFCI to turn the pump on and it ran all day until I turned it off at 7:30 p.m.

Do you unplug the pump before you reset the GFCI ? Or is the GFCI being used as a on switch ?

The load should be removed first, Or it can damage the relay contacts in the GFCI because of the current surge when the motor starts.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
If you can run an extension cord to the pump from another GFCI if you have one. Most pool pumps have a rear removable cover to the get to the electrical connections and the cover also protects a centrifugal switch with exposed contacts. This switches out the start capacitor but the contacts still have power to them. The area might be full of crud.

Is the cover you're talking about the end closest to the camera where the plug comes out?

Attachments

• PUMP.jpg
    PUMP.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 322

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
Do you unplug the pump before you reset the GFCI ? Or is the GFCI being used as a on switch ?

The load should be removed first, Or it can damage the relay contacts in the GFCI because of the current surge when the motor starts.

Good Luck.

I don't unplug the pump when resetting the GFCI. Also anytime I need to shut off the pump to backwash, clean it or any other reason I use the GFCI to turn it off. Sounds like I shouldn't be doing that.

DonL

Reaction score
I don't unplug the pump when resetting the GFCI. Also anytime I need to shut off the pump to backwash, clean it or any other reason I use the GFCI to turn it off. Sounds like I shouldn't be doing that.

No you should not. You should have a disconnect near the pump.

DonL

Reaction score
I never noticed that before, I will check that out as soon as I get home. Could that cause the problem?

Yes it could, Because water can get into it.

And yes the start switch is under that cover. Unplug before removing the cover.

"Can I just unplug the pump and plug it back in until I get one?"

Yes. Code may require a cut off, Not really sure for a pool pump. But it should have one.

What type of timer are you using ?

Last edited:

DAVID BOYLE

Reaction score
Yes it could, Because water can get into it.

And yes the start switch is under that cover. Unplug before removing the cover.

"Can I just unplug the pump and plug it back in until I get one?"

Yes. Code may require a cut off, Not really sure for a pool pump. But it should have one.

What type of timer are you using ?

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the cord is damaged, your best bet is to cut it off and rewire. You want the external wiring to be intact without insulation damage. The fitting that holds it into the pump is likely a waterproof one, and it is designed to seal onto intact insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks