Getting unused well going again for yard irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

T.K.

Reaction score
I have a well that I had drilled in 1984 when I was building the house I live in in 1998 the city annexed the land into city limits and brought city water out to me and I switched over and have had the well unhooked since 98 now I’m trying to reuse it to just irrigate the yard for watering and such except one big problem I tossed the original control box that went with it I remember it was a franklin electric Deluxe control I just can’t remember what hp and hz the pump is to buy a new one the well is 1,200 ft deep and is a three wire black yellow red the company that drilled the well originally has gone out of business so all records are lost. So the deluxe control is 1.5hp and above so it must be at least 1.5hp ? Any help is appreciated

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah an ohm test will tell you the horsepower. Deluxe boxes can be for motors from 1.5HP to 15HP. Anyone with a good well should never acquiesce to government control and hook up to city water. If you want to see how good government operators are at controlling your water quality, read what happened to Flint Michigan. I would much rather be in control of my own water supply.

T.K.

Reaction score
Yeah an ohm test will tell you the horsepower. Deluxe boxes can be for motors from 1.5HP to 15HP. Anyone with a good well should never acquiesce to government control and hook up to city water. If you want to see how good government operators are at controlling your water quality, read what happened to Flint Michigan. I would much rather be in control of my own water supply.

Thank you Yes I will do the ohm test mentioned above to find the hp of the pump what about hz? They have a few different hz boxes available and will a ohm test tell me if the pump is still viable? it has been sitting over 20 years unused . I originally switched to city water because the city did the connection for free at the time saving me hiring a plumber and the well water at the time was very sulphery and was tearing the copper pipes in the house up causing leaks and staining the tubs and toilets badly but I wish I would have worked on it at the time .

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I would check the circuit breaker, probably 220v, If it's been off for twenty years, operate the circuit breaker switch several times to clean any corrosion that might have occurred on the contactors. Check voltage with a voltmeter before connecting to the pump. If you have a clamp meter, place it on one leg when powering up the pump. Keep an eye on it. No current or very high current will give a some idea if the pump is running but no water is present.

T.K.

Reaction score
I would check the circuit breaker, probably 220v, If it's been off for twenty years, operate the circuit breaker switch several times to clean any corrosion that might have occurred on the contactors. Check voltage with a voltmeter before connecting to the pump. If you have a clamp meter, place it on one leg when powering up the pump. Keep an eye on it. No current or very high current will give a some idea if the pump is running but no water is present.
I have not had time to do the ohm test yet the electrical was all removed when I switched to city water 20 years ago, the pressure tank sprang a leak and was removed about 5 years ago as well as the pressure switch and control box the original breaker was a 120vsingle 30 amp breaker. I am hoping to use the original 3 wire line to the well as main power to run the control box off of it and mount all control box, pressure switch tank right near well head instead of under the house like it was originally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks