Gerber Ultra-flush not working well since pressure regulator added

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by MrDoh, Mar 26, 2016.

1. MrDoh

MrDoh New Member

I have a Gerber Ultra-flush toilet that used to work really well. They then sent me a retrofit kit to keep the toilet from exploding, a strap and a pressure regulator. The strap is fine, but the pressure regulator seems to keep the toilet tank from adequately pressurizing. I'm considering taking off the pressure regulator so that I can get a good flush again.

Just wondering what the odds might be of my toilet exploding if I do this? Have others done this? The other alternative is to get a new toilet, which I really don't want to do. But probably should, working toilets aren't hard to find these days...I have a Toto UltraMax that works a lot better than my gelded Ultra-flush does now, but it wasn't cheap. And it's also hard to clean.

Thanks...

2. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

When you installed you toilet out-of-the-box, it worked fine, so what made you think it was going to "explode"?

Why did they send it to you, did you ask for it?

Toilets don't get the same provisions as cars with recall notices. If you installed your toilet out-of-the-box without modifications, it should work as advertised and under warranty without future "revisions". Warranties on existing installs don't self-void when the manufacturer decides along to way to make a design upgrade.

I've never seen it happen myself, but statistically it must happen to a few lucky folks.

You seem to know what you are doing and what you want. Cost isn't much of an issue if you are going to DIY the install.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

The Consumer Products Safety Commission. Some earlier models of the Sloan Flushmate did in fact explode without provocation.

The kit he got was offered/sent to all registered Flushmate owners who purchased before a certain date. The recall was later expanded.

My favorite, the Las Vegas Killer Toilet (nobody died):

$18 million settlement in class action case: http://www.thenationaltriallawyers.org/2014/02/18-million-settlement-flushmate-exploding-toilet/

Exploding toilet at Montana courthouse: http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_46daf5b3-fac6-5bec-bf84-2eea26e82757.html

Pissed off Dad whose kid almost got shredded:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

I understand, but like most home appliances, "recall" notices from manufacturers at still at the choice of the owner.

Without intricate car ownership records like the DMV, obviously Gerber isn't going to be able to get the message out to the majority of owners, so you're going to have a whole ton of folks who aren't going to do a darn thing to modify squat. To what severity will continued use be, as this will apply to a majority of unmodified toilets?

6. MrDoh

MrDoh New Member

Well, I was hoping to hear from people facing this issue, and what they did about it. Not exactly wanting to start an argument about safety recalls and the choice that one has to follow or not follow them.

Yes, I have the choice of fully following the safety recommendations, or of partially following them, or of just blowing them off (as it were *smile*) and seeing what happens. That's why I'm asking about what others are doing with their choices...is everyone who has this toilet just doing the full retrofit, or have people left off the pressure regulator to improve the flush? And what have the results been?

Sorry for confusion on the intent of my posting.

Thanks.

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
  8. MrDoh

MrDoh New Member

Still wondering how other Gerber Ultra-flush owners are dealing with the drop in flushing effectiveness from adding the pressure regulator, or if I'm the only one out here noticing that the original reason that I bought this toilet is no longer there?

9. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    After I read all the above last week, I went up and checked the numbers on the Gerber upstairs in my new fixer. Yep, it's a butt grenade. I pictured myself flying through the pearly gates with a toilet seat around my neck and decided to mitigate the situation. I had a sexy little Wellington, an extra-clean haul-away stashed in the basement, so I snatched up the pressure-assist toilet and replaced it. Sorry I can't vouch for the repair kit, but it was much easier for me this way.
    I was just getting used to the Gerber. It really cleared the bowl in a hurry, but was on the loud side. Reminded me of my childhood when I would pull the silverware drawer out too far, and the whole thing would come crashing to the kitchen floor. Worst thing was having to peel the cat off the ceiling after every flush.