Gas Tank to Gas Tankless Water Heater - Vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo Sangeet

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new on this forum. I need some help on a project that I'm working.

I have a leaky gas tanked water heater system which I'm thinking about replacing. I've decided to go with Rheem Performance Platinum 9.5 GPM Condensing Direct Vent tankless gas system which comes with 2 separate vents - One for Air intake and other for Exhaust vent. My question is about exhaust vent.

Pictures of my my existing tanked heater vent is attached. Can I connect and vent the exhaust vent through this? Please advise.

For intake air I'll just connect a PVC pipe and use the attic air since I have massive attic which is about 60 x 30 feet and has can and ridge ventilation system.

Regards
Leo

tankless-normal-installation-01.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 392
  • rheem-tankless-gas-water-heaters-ecoh200dvln-2-64_600.jpg
    rheem-tankless-gas-water-heaters-ecoh200dvln-2-64_600.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to use different material for the vent on this because it's a condensing tankless. The old metal one would quickly rust out.

tankless-vertical-installation-01.jpg

tankless-venting-materials.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Both intake and exhaust have to be on the same roof or wall for they have to be exposed to the same conditions like wind ( pressure). Manufacturers don't write specs and get approvals for nothing. They want to limit there liability and keep your family safe

Mulligan Stew

Reaction score
You will need to use different material for the vent on this because it's a condensing tankless. The old metal one would quickly rust out.

tankless-vertical-installation-01.jpg

tankless-venting-materials.jpg
Both intake and exhaust have to be on the same roof or wall for they have to be exposed to the same conditions like wind ( pressure). Manufacturers don't write specs and get approvals for nothing. They want to limit there liability and keep your family safe

Mulligan Stew

Reaction score
Does the low temp exhaust through PVC mean a standard neoprene roof vent can be used? I'm installing a condensing Noritz tankless vent (PVC sch 40 solid core) through a composite roof and would love to simply install the same neoprene flashing that I use for plumbing air vent terminations.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you go with plastic make sure it is protected from direct sun light

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your already doing this, but don't use your attic for fresh air. It'll filth up your tankless and make your attic freezing cold in the winter. A ridge vent is only good for so many air changes per hour and it specifically sized (in linear feet) for your attic and insulation for etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks