Gas Pipe Inside Cabinet

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ttbean, Sep 30, 2008.

  1. ttbean

    ttbean New Member

    Sep 2, 2008
    My gas pipe happens to come out of the wall right next to the doorway. I didn't really feel like having a stove in the doorway, so I wanted to put a cabinet there instead and run the flexible gas pipe through the cabinet to the range. Tonight, I wanted to drill the holes for the pipe, so the appliance people can install my range tomorrow.

    However, today, my appliance guy said that it may not be up to code to use flexible pipe inside my cabinet. And that I should be prepared to have to use hard pipe inside the cabinet, instead.

    Obviously, this decision affects where I place the holes. Can someone help me out? Is it against code to put flexible pipe inside a cabinet if it's for gas? And...where would the best place be to cut a hole on the side of the cabinet? Right now, the gas line comes in the back of the cabinet about 2ft off the ground.

  2. AZ Contractor

    AZ Contractor In the Trades

    Apr 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No offense.

    But you shouldn't be messing around with gas.

    Have a plumber come over and do it the correct way.

    Faulty workmanship can be catastrophic.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. ttbean

    ttbean New Member

    Sep 2, 2008 offense taken. In case you missed the post, a plumber is coming to install it tomorrow. I just wanted to drill the holes first. Hence, the reason I asked my question.
  5. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    You do see this done, but I don't recommend it.

    From a code standpoint, it is not permissible to run flex pipe through a wall, so a strict interpretation would include walls of cabinets. It may be a gray area, depending on your inspector. But I would adopt that strict interpretation myself, because the flex is vulnerable to rubbing where it would pass through the sides of the cabinet, and to unseen damage by "things" you push back into the cabinet. It will be a simple matter to run black pipe, so why not plan on that.
  6. Plumbworker

    Plumbworker Plumber

    Sep 5, 2008
    SF, CA
    have your plumber drill the holes!!!!!
  7. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    The code is that the valve has to be in the same ROOM as the appliance, so the valve can be in the cabinet, BUT, the flexible connector is limited as far as its length, which means the proper sized one might not reach the range and still allow it to be pulled out for servicing and/or connecting. Let the plumber drill the holes according to how he wants to run the pipe. You do not know how high, or how far out from the wall he will install the pipe. unless he has very dull drill bits, it should only take a minute or so to drill the hole.
Similar Threads: Pipe Inside
Forum Title Date
Remodel Forum & Blog Can I remove this vent pipe? Aug 15, 2017
Remodel Forum & Blog Vent Pipe??? Jul 20, 2017
Remodel Forum & Blog 3" pipe through joists Apr 23, 2017
Remodel Forum & Blog Drain and Vent Pipes Under Slab/not vertical! Mar 29, 2017
Remodel Forum & Blog 2" Drain Pipe in 2"x4" Stud Mar 29, 2017

Share This Page