Gas Pipe Inside Cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

ttbean

Reaction score
My gas pipe happens to come out of the wall right next to the doorway. I didn't really feel like having a stove in the doorway, so I wanted to put a cabinet there instead and run the flexible gas pipe through the cabinet to the range. Tonight, I wanted to drill the holes for the pipe, so the appliance people can install my range tomorrow.

However, today, my appliance guy said that it may not be up to code to use flexible pipe inside my cabinet. And that I should be prepared to have to use hard pipe inside the cabinet, instead.

Obviously, this decision affects where I place the holes. Can someone help me out? Is it against code to put flexible pipe inside a cabinet if it's for gas? And...where would the best place be to cut a hole on the side of the cabinet? Right now, the gas line comes in the back of the cabinet about 2ft off the ground.

Thanks!

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
No offense.

But you shouldn't be messing around with gas.

Have a plumber come over and do it the correct way.

Faulty workmanship can be catastrophic.

ttbean

Reaction score
Um...no offense taken. In case you missed the post, a plumber is coming to install it tomorrow. I just wanted to drill the holes first. Hence, the reason I asked my question.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do see this done, but I don't recommend it.

From a code standpoint, it is not permissible to run flex pipe through a wall, so a strict interpretation would include walls of cabinets. It may be a gray area, depending on your inspector. But I would adopt that strict interpretation myself, because the flex is vulnerable to rubbing where it would pass through the sides of the cabinet, and to unseen damage by "things" you push back into the cabinet. It will be a simple matter to run black pipe, so why not plan on that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

The code is that the valve has to be in the same ROOM as the appliance, so the valve can be in the cabinet, BUT, the flexible connector is limited as far as its length, which means the proper sized one might not reach the range and still allow it to be pulled out for servicing and/or connecting. Let the plumber drill the holes according to how he wants to run the pipe. You do not know how high, or how far out from the wall he will install the pipe. unless he has very dull drill bits, it should only take a minute or so to drill the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks