Gas flex line in a wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Solan, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Solan

    Solan New Member

    Jun 15, 2008
    Hey everyone. I'm installing a "dryer box" in my laundry room. The box creates a recess in the wall behind the dryer and allows for a connection of the 4" exhaust line and a gas line. For the gas I'd like to transition from 1/2 inch pipe to a flex line inside the wall and run the flex into the dryer box where it will connect with a termination fitting as seen here:

    My questions are:

    What is the approved method for the transition?
    Can I just screw the CSST line onto the rigid pipe?
    If so are there special connectors that I should include?


  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    The "flex line" which you can by at the hardware store or HD are NOT CSST, and absolutely may NOT be used inside the wall.

    CSST can only be purchased by plumbers who have a factory training certificate. If you find someone who would sell it to you, you do not want to be doing business there.

    Gas work like this ALWAYS requires a permit, and an inspector would not allow CSST installed by a homeowner.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. leejosepho

    leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

    Nov 23, 2006
    disabled-retired industrial fabricator
    200 miles south of Little Rock
    CSST is available off-the-shelf and to anyone in one of the box stores here where I happen to live, but that does not mean it is a good idea for an untrained DIYer to attempt installing it. With a permit, inspection and leak test required for any and all gas work, only the engagement of a pro would be wise.
  5. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    The consequences of an improper gas installation are severe enough to warrant installation by a pro...

    Failure of the family to wake up in the morning.
    A loud noise in the home accompanied by heat and incredible pressure!
  6. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I am very surprised to hear that they are letting the warehouse stores sell CSST. I guess they sell everything else!
  7. in wants out

    in wants out New Member

    Oct 7, 2007
    In California, I believe your Gastite or Tracpipe Certification allows you to install CSST only under the direction of a plumbing contractor.
Similar Threads: flex line
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Plastic or flexible dishwasher supply line Aug 13, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Flexible supply line for clawfoot tub Oct 2, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How do I extend my faucet flex supply lines? Sep 15, 2012
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Ok to connect two SS flex supply lines? Nov 18, 2010
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Flexible (roll) copper for bathroom supply lines? Sep 21, 2010

Share This Page