Gas appliance pipe run and shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
I am remodeling (reconstructing would be a better word) my kitchen and will be adding a gas range.

When I had my furnace and hot water heater (both gas) replaced a few years ago I had the contractor leave me a tee and capped nipple which I could extend to the future gas range (total pipe length from the tee will be just a few feet).

BTW I am in VA and under the IRC code.

I have 3 questions re: the pipe extension to the gas range:

1. Can I use a coupling to replace the cap and extend from the nipple or would it be a better idea to remove the nipple from the tee and install the correct length pipe in the tee.

2. The water heater is a direct vent type (through the outside wall). The most convenient way to run the gas line to the range would route it over the water heater exhaust pipe. Are there any restrictions on this or requirements for space between the exhaust and gas runs?

3. The code requires a shutoff close to the appliance, in the same room, accessible, etc. If I run the gas line up through the floor per the range mfg instructions and install the shutoff there it will only be accessible if you move out the range to get to it. If I need to shutoff the gas here in an emergency I shure don't want to have to wrestle with a 300 lb range to get to it. Even if this does meet code (the shutoff under the range) is it OK to put 2 shutoffs on the same line, 1 under the range in the kitchen and 1 in the basement close to the point where it goes through the floor. This second shutoff would be in a different room, but accessible with a quick run to the basement if there was a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Joel

kipph

Reaction score
I had the same problem when remodeling my kitchen just a year ago. Well not the direct vent WH problem. But my plumber had a shut off @ the Tee & also at the appliance, even thou I had a gas cooktop & wall oven config. He also stated the same code "excessive shut off", but we installed it behind the appliance that would never be accessed. The shut off at the tee should be fine (i'm assuming that the distance between the 2 is not that great).

As for piping what are you using: Flex or Cast Iron. Cast Iron would be better.

I looked really quick in the International Fuel & Gas Code 2003 & could not find any min. separations but I would play cautious when running any Fuel piping near a heat source (cast Iron & max distance from vent).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, people run the gas line through a cabinet and put the shutoff there. I had the plumber put a shutoff behind the stove, and one below it in the basement ceiling. Don't think it is a problem. I think my stove is closer to 500 pounds AND it is on a 3" raised platform along with the cabinets (I'm tall, and wanted it at a more comfortable height), so to get behind the stove, you need to move it out on blocks...

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Shut-offs are required immediately upstream of (before) flexable appliance connectors. If the final hookup to the appliance will be with such a connector, remember that the connector cannot pass through any partition, be it a cabinet, wall or floor.

An auxilliary shut-off in a more accessible loacation is always welcomed.

Reaction score
In case you're in California, the code citation is:

CPC 2019
1212.5 Appliance Shutoff Valves and Connections

Appliances connected to a piping system shall have an accessible, approved manual shutoff valve ... Appliance shutoff valves and convenience outlets shall serve a single appliance and shall be installed within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance it serves.

1) Shutoff valves shall be permitted to be accessibly located inside or under an appliance where such appliance is removed without removal of the shutoff valve.
2) Shutoff valves shall be permitted to be accessibly located inside wall heaters and wall furnaces listed for recessed installation where necessary maintenance is performed without removal of the shutoff valve.

In a fire you'll want to shut the gas off from the outside. If you're servicing an appliance, you want a shutoff so you can isolate only the appliance under repair: that seems to be the intent. Putting the valve behind the range meets that test. (It is "accessible" in that you can remove the appliance and shut the valve, without needing to shut off the main).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks