Galvanized to PEX Water LInes

Users who are viewing this thread

jgalba1

Reaction score
Hi, I need to transition from existing Galvanized pipe to PEX hot n cold water lines for a Shower Tower system. I also want to install a ball valve on each line then end with standard threads to connect to the Tower system. The lines are 9.5 inches apart which is too much I need to bring them each in about 2.75 inches so they're 4 inches apart. Whats the proper way to do this with PEX and meet inspection and CA code? Thanks

Attachments

• 20210119_153700.jpg
    20210119_153700.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210119_153722.jpg
    20210119_153722.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 156

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any possibility of going back to where the under slab galvanized lines are fed from, and providing new PEX feeds from there? Not sure what the remaining life span of that under slab galvanized would be, and now would be the best time to replace it.

Cheers, Wayne

jgalba1

Reaction score
Hi, no that would be very very difficult talking about another 6 ft or so of concrete to take out just to try and find out where the originate from.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would start from the 1/2" couplings there. Anytime you put a pipe wrench on old galvanized you're risking things.
The pipe can crush under the pressure of the wrench. And like Wayne mentioned, at some point, you will be repiping this home. Where I live, I was doing galvanized repiping in the 70's, and now it's 2021? On the street I grew up on , they bulldoze the homes and start over again.

California code? It depends on the inspector. I normally use a 6" brass nipple to transition, but some places what a dielectric union, which in my experience is the worst thing you can install.

jgalba1

Reaction score
I hope to not be re-piping myself we will be selling this house in a few years. So I just need an adapter from the Galvanized to the PEX barb then run the PEX up to the stub out. Since I have to bring the lines in can I just angle the PEX from the Galvanized to the stub out or do I need to go straight up and then hit a 90 then another 90 and stub out? I think this is all 1/2in Galvanized. Joe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks