Running pex for washing machine from main water line vs. branch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

MarsellusWallace

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looked around for this issue but I'm seeing mostly discussions on 'home runs'..

I'm moving my washing machine to the utility room of my basement. If I want to run hot and cold water lines for the washer/sink, does it matter if the PEX ties in to the main water lines (water furnace and street line) or can I tap into the lines that are already branched and running to a second floor bathroom? I know connections to the main are preferred, but they're both in close proximity (4ft apart), so I'm wondering if that means anything in terms of affecting pressure?

Tapping into the bathroom lines would be a more convenient position for soldering the sweat adapters and less pex bends. I'm not sure if this would affect pressure in case 2nd floor shower and washer are used at the same time? (Not sure if there would be a bottleneck?)

Appreciate any input!

Attachments

• 20230218_170726.jpg
    20230218_170726.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You wanna connect to a 3/4" pipe for each. Preferably after everything else, which might give priority to other fixtures, but the pressure drop will be present no matter what.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are calling the branch to upstairs bathroom appears to be going elsewhere as well? if those are 3/4 copper (they dont look it) then sure B might be ok but I think more is going on and they are only 1/2 inch lines so Id connect at A

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks