Galvanized steel to PVC in bathroom: plumbing vent + tub drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dan, Aug 29, 2020.

1. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

2. Dan

Dan Member

great thanks, seems much sturdier. but how would i connect the straight tubular coming down from the tub?

edit: the idea being the tubular ptrap allows me to take the 'trap' off, or twist/move it around to get at a clog, a clean out on top of prevent gas coming back up. woth that pvc trap, i would have to cement/glue one end so i wouldnt be able to use it as a clean out, correct?

3. Dan

Dan Member

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

That's probably 1-1/2" galvanized. The OD should be 1.9", same as the 1-1/2" plastic you're using. The ID was originally 1.5", but as the steel rusts it can accumulate on the inside and reduce the ID. So it is worth replacing as much of it as is possible.

Now if the OD is 1.6", that's 1-1/4" galvanized, which would be a problem.

On the trap style (tubular, solvent weld + threaded, or solvent weld only), I don't have an opinion, I'll just point out that the first two options would let you open up the trap, the last option would not.

Cheers, Wayne

Dan likes this.
  5. Dan

Dan Member

wayne, thanks. i found the no-hub coupling that fits: fernco P3000-150. you are correct, it is ~1.9 for the outer diameter.

i will stick with what gagecalman posted above: pvc p-trap. 1.5".
    horizontal pipe will be 1.5" solvent welded
    vertical will have the 1.5" threaded adapter solvent welded accepting the vertical 1.5" tubular from the bathtub/shower

6. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

gagecalman posted two options for the p-trap: one where the two pieces thread together (and the inlet and outlet are solvent welded), and one where the two pieces solvent weld together. In conjunction with the trap adapter, the first option would let you remove the U-bend of the trap, while the second option would not.

I've never used tubular on a tub waste and overflow, so I have no opinion.

Cheers, Wayne

Dan likes this.
  7. Dan

Dan Member

thanks for clarifying and i should have been more clear in the post:

i will be going with the option that allows me to remove the 'u-bend': https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-...ia-PVC-Schedule-40-Hub-P-Trap-Fitting/3132661

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Dan likes this.
  9. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

That alone doesn't, but coupled with a trap adapter for the tubular drain from the tub, the u-bend can be removed. Or are you saying that on that style of two piece trap, the two pieces don't separate and are captive?

Cheers, Wayne

10. Dan

Dan Member

yes youre right about the the u bend having two trap adapters

this is what i am doing, im assuming this works?

Attached Files:

11. Dan

Dan Member

dry fit photo

15988133992345561117332305302545.jpg

12. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

That is a beautiful thing!

Dan likes this.
  13. Dan

Dan Member

couldda saved myself an extra 3 trips to hardware store searching for parts and all that cutting with a hacksaw.

14. Dan

Dan Member

heres the final job

IMG_20200830_143426.jpg

wwhitney likes this.
  15. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I see that now.

Still required precision. Good work.