Forgot to switch off power to well pump while draining the tank for plumbing work

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean_Mr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Today I forgot to switch off power to the well pump while draining the pressure tank for plumbing work.
I did turn off the water supply to the house, but I think the pump was constantly running for a couple hours.
Will this cause any damage to the pump or anywhere else?
Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
It shouldn't, as long as the water was going somewhere, and where the water went did not get damaged as a result.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There should not be a cut off valve between the pump and pressure switch. So shutting the valve to the house should have just caused the pump to build up to 60 PSI and be shut off by the pressure switch.

Sean_Mr

Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies.
I think the pump was running all the time against the closed valve, will it possibly built too much pressure in the pipe?
The pump is 1hp 10gpm submersible.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pressure against a closed valve isn't going to hurt anything. A pump cannot build more pressure than it can handle. The problem is the lack of flow. Pumping against a closed valve the water in the pump cannot go anywhere, and just sits there getting hot. If it gets too hot it will melt impellers and burn up the motor. But they will run this way for quite a while, especially when the well water is relatively cool. If the pump still builds enough pressure to shut itself off and doesn't trip the overload, you may have lucked out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the pump was running all the time against the closed valve, will it possibly built too much pressure in the pipe?
How about posting a photo that includes that valve, the input to the pressure tank, the pressure gauge, and the pipe from the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks