Flooring transition with 7/8" height difference

Users who are viewing this thread

dankoos

Reaction score
We converted a single car garage into two bedrooms. The house sits higher than the former garage (garage floor was at ground level). We spanned the old garage floor with 2x10's and after all flooring was installed, the "entrance" to the new rooms (there will not be a door here, there is a small hallway first, then the two new rooms) is about 7/8" higher than the house flooring. My two options seem to be a stainable gradual reducer that is 3/4" high (so may not even be high enough, would have to figure that out) that can be stained/painted to match one of the two floorings or just use one of those metal "L" shaped pieces that you would usually use at the top of the stairs as a transition to the upper floor flooring. Are there any other options?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you treat this as a ramp, as far as I can tell, it needs to have a 1:8 slope or shallower. A color change will be safer. If it is a step-type thing, it needs to have a significant color change for safety. Have a nice trip, and all that.

dankoos

Reaction score
If you treat this as a ramp, as far as I can tell, it needs to have a 1:8 slope or shallower. A color change will be safer. If it is a step-type thing, it needs to have a significant color change for safety. Have a nice trip, and all that.
The changes in flooring color are very noticeable, one is a light oak color and the other is a dark oak. Wouldn't the "ramp" style transition that is 3/4" already meet whatever slope requirement there is, i.e. the 1:8 you mention? Meaning, why would they sell it if it is against code?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you can buy all sorts of things that do not meet today's codes.

A small step there would not be my choice. A ramp would be better. Is the finished flooring already installed everywhere?

Depending on which way the wood flooring runs, you might be able to make a ramp underneath and put the finished flooring back on and make it a nice smooth transition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks