Floor mount, rear discharge or cut slab for "std" toilet?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dianedebuda, Aug 18, 2017.

1. dianedebuda

dianedebuda New Member

Layout changed after slab pour, so plumber roughed-in for floor-mount, rear discharge (25+ years ago). Not finding many toilets available now. Found only 3 at Ferguson: Kohler Barrington, ProFlow "Gilpin", and AS Yorkville. Want plain, quiet, white, ADA/comfort, elongated, not modern.

Had 3 plumbers out.
    #1 hadn't done any rear discharge; would cut slab & re-rough only on time/material basis; ok if we cut slab; moderate hr rate.
    #2 didn't want to deal with rear dischage; would cut slab & redo; high cost; didn't check yet if ok for us to cut slab.
    #3 experienced with rear discharge; says will need to replumb & reframe area; very expensive/hr

Looks like cost of plumber + floor mount, rear discharge toilet is going to be almost as much as cutting slab, rough for "std" toilet & the toilet.

Considering cutting slab ourselves. Have circular saw with diamond blade & demo hammer (mini-jack hammer). Have experience with cutting through almost solid limestone with it for pvc. Assume length of hole is determined by position for flange. Hole width?

Plywood subfloor raised above slab by flat 2x4.

If we go with floor-mount, rear discharge, concerned that will not be able to change to different toilet in future if needed.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dianedebuda

dianedebuda New Member

That's a pretty expensive toilet & I think would basically require framing a second wall in front of the existing one for the tank. Probably too rich for me, but I do appreciate seeing alternatives. Hadn't thought of reframing for a wall mount. HAD thought of adding platform to hide floor mount and steps to the throne.:D

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    Why is there such a cost just to replace the floor mount rear outlet with another one? Unless yours is one with a "nonstandard" opening above the floor.

6. dianedebuda

dianedebuda New Member

If it's not clear, I do not currently have an actual floor-mount, rear discharge (f-m, rd) toilet fixture yet. Not finding many to chose from & what I am finding are expensive. The plumber that I found that is experienced with this type says that I have to pick the toilet & then we'll have to reframe & redo plumbing to match. So apparently he feels what I have is not usable. The 2 other plumbers did not want to deal with this type of toilet. Adding the cost of the toilet & the plumber expense is not much less than cutting the slab + the expense of a different plumber to redo rough-in + a budget floor-mount toilet. Then I'm not locked into a specific f-m, rd fixture. I know it sounds really odd, but so far that's what I'm finding. If there's other f-m, rd toilets that I should consider, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017