Floor Joist in way of drain for soaking tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Finn12

Reaction score
Hello!

I have just started a bathroom renovation for my second floor bathroom of a house built in 1920. I have a large soaking tub planned that will need to have the drain connected to existing main. The problem is that the main runs parallel to a floor joist (about five inches apart) and the drain will need to be fitted in to the main at a perpendicular angle—i.e., would have to go through the joist. Any thoughts on my options? I don’t like the idea of cutting in to the joist, especially since it’s the joist that will run under the 90 gallon soaking tub once it is installed.

Any insight is much appreciated!

kevreh

Reaction score
Does the drain need to go THROUGH the joist or is where the drain needs to be the same place as where the joist is? What size joist? Try to post a pic Drilling a hole in joist is ok as long as your 1/3 away from the edge, if memory serves correct. May be an issue with a 2x8.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A picture would help. A tub drain gets a 1.5" vent and p-trap. A 2-1/8" hole through the joist may work for that, keeping it at least 2" from the top and bottom of the joist.
Sometimes I drop below a joist near a wall and run with the joist. Boxing out at a wall isn't as noticeable.
What else is the main waste line serving?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks