Floor drain pipe too short to reach claw foot

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Cadwell

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an old bathroom that used to have carpet under a claw foot tub. We removed the carpet and put tile (with cement hardy board). Because of this the claw foot tub now sits about 1/2 inch high and the drain assembly does quite reach the 1.5 inch floor drain pipe.

the problem is, the tile guy completely tiled around the floor drain pipe and there is no access from below.

any advice on what to do to make the claw foot tub drain connect to the floor pipe? Thank you

2EEBF198-562A-4EC6-9931-92A7BA96CB7A.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
FYI the drain coming up out from the floor is supposed to be a threaded male adapter, then the tubular coming down is set into that adapter with a slip joint nut.
All tubular brass deteriorates with age and needs to be accessible over time. Burying tubular into tile is just WRONG and has to be addressed.
Tile guy should have known better.

Justin Cadwell

Reaction score
FYI the drain coming up out from the floor is supposed to be a threaded male adapter, then the tubular coming down is set into that adapter with a slip joint nut.
All tubular brass deteriorates with age and needs to be accessible over time. Burying tubular into tile is just WRONG and has to be addressed.
Tile guy should have known better.

That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks