Flickering: All 4 LED Recessed bulbs on dimmer switch

Users who are viewing this thread

beachguysb

Reaction score
All 4 LED Recessed lights on dimmer switch just started flickering. (4.5w dimmable GU10 LED bulbs)

- It only happens sometimes
- 4 other LED's on a DIFFERENT dimmer switch (but same circuit) also flicker sometimes, whether the other dimmer switch is on or not.
- It doesn't matter how bright I have the dimmer
- They were fine for 4 years

What could be causing this?

Is it dangerous if the lights are on? If they are off?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

beachguysb

Reaction score
Lutron Diva C.L Dimmer Switch for Dimmable LED, Halogen and Incandescent Bulbs, Single-Pole or 3-Way, DVWCL-153PH-LA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard to say for sure. FWIW, LED bulbs have almost no perceptible time between power applied (or off) and their brightness or off. That means that if the power is going on/off, the lights can flicker, or be apparent to our eyes, unlike an incandescent, which takes longer for the element to start to glow and then cool off, changing the light output.

Some LEDs work better at dimming than others. A dimmer designed for those types of bulbs should minimize those obvious effects. The power supply in the bulb may have issues...LED's need a DC voltage, and the power going in is ACV, so it could be the internal power supply.

When they flicker, are they all in sync, or do they flash at random? That might help isolate it to the bulb(s) or the dimmer.

beachguysb

Reaction score
Everything was fine for four years. Now ether all 4 flicker in sync or none do. So I don't think it's the bulbs.

And... It don't think it's the dimmer switch either (Dimmer Switch #1) because there is another set of 4 bulbs on a totally different dimmer switch (Dimmer Switch #2) that also started doing this - even when Dimmer Switch #1 (with 4 bulbs) is off.

BUT... both sets of dimmers/bulbs are on the same circuit.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Check the cable's connection on the circuit breaker and its neutral. Double-check all connections for tightness and corrosion. Pop the breaker out and verify it's connection is both tight and clean.

Some digital meters have an analog bar graph, a multi-meter with a mechanical readout (needle) may show fluctuations.

LEDs turn on/off so fast, that if there's a hiccup in the power delivery, it's more apparent than with older bulbs with a filament.

beachguysb

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

Maybe the solar panels are not giving off enough power during rain/clouds?

Or maybe Edison is having to send power since solar is not netting enough power - and Edison delivery is not strong because of the bad weather/rain?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many solar systems don't have battery storage, so there's actually no switching between where the power is actually coming from, so that's not likely. Although, your power inverter may be noisy. To evaluate that, you may need someone with an oscilloscope of spectrum analyzer to check it out. A multimeter tends to be too slow to respond or show you those effects.

If it were your power going into the panel, it would likely be evident throughout the house.

Electronics don't like noise or spikes, from whatever source. You can think of a spike as an ax that can chop the electrical junctions of electronic components. You don't chop the tree down with the first chop...it takes time. To help prevent, or at least limit this, I'm a big proponent of a whole-house surge suppression system attached at the power panel. Lots of companies make them. One I've found to work quite well isn't well know to homeowners. A company called Mersen is big in industrial power stuff. I put one in my mother's panel after a lighting storm took the board out of both her microwave oven and refrigerator. I've had one in my home for ages. They work. Cheap insurance IMHO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks