Fleck 7000SXT Carbon Filter startup

Users who are viewing this thread

Groves

Reaction score
So excited, the softener and GAC are plumbed and leak free.

I heard that I wasn't supposed to plug the valve into the wall socket for the first day (to give the carbon time to absorb the water before a backwash)

BUT, I heard too late. I had it briefly plugged in (few hours) yesterday before we got it plumbed up.

SO.

I bypassed the softener (to prevent the carbon fines from entering it) and slowly opened the bypass on the GAC.

To my surprise, water (and carbon) started heading out of the drain line on the GAC.

Is this normal?

I shut the valves off. I was expecting water to flow out of my faucet instead, for which I would wait 10 or 15min to hopefully find it clear and no more carbon fines.

But that's not what happened. Any ideas? I'll call the company tomorrow. Hope it's not broken.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
GAC will come out of the drain line if the carbon has not been allowed to soak for a day or two minimum. Most GAC manufacturers recommend a 72 hour soaking. You can speed up the start up by putting the valve into fast rinse (rapid rinse) and allow it to run in a downflow for an hour to the drain or you can even water your lawn with it. Do not let this water get into fish ponds, some GAC's will have a considerable affect on the waters pH for the first few weeks which can affect aquatic life.

Did the system come with a top screen? What DLFC button do you have? What is your water temperature? What size system?

If you want to try it again, put the unit into backwash with the water turned off. Crack the inlet valve and allow water and air to exit the drain very slowly for an hour or so. Then do a a rapid rinse for an hour. Open the water line all the way and retry.

This should get you started, but please answer the questions above so we can make sure your system is set up correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks