Fleck 5600 SXT - 48k System

Users who are viewing this thread

Iqraam Nabi

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a new system installed for 45 days now, 2 people live full time in my house and visitors from time to time. Wanted to know best settings for my new system, details below:

Hardness: 100 ppm
Chlorine: 5 ppm
Alkalinity 120 ppm
pH 9
Copper: .03 ppm
Iron: .03 ppm

Current settings setup by my plumber is using a lot of salt, probably have gone through 80-120lbs of salt in that time. Brine solution is higher than the salt in the system, I added a new 40lb bag just today but water still sits higher.

I used this video to do the baseline programming:

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Edit 8.14.2021:
I've since adjusted some settings today to:

H: 6
C: 30K
BW: 5 min
BD: 60 min
RR: 5 min
BF: 6 min

https://www.aquatell.com/pages/water-softener-capacity-and-salt-settings-for-fleck-control-valves - used this for new setting guide

Last edited:

Iqraam Nabi

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a new system installed for 45 days now, 2 people live full time in my house and visitors from time to time. Wanted to know best settings for my new system, details below:

Hardness: 100 ppm
Chlorine: 5 ppm
Alkalinity 120 ppm
pH 9
Copper: .03 ppm
Iron: .03 ppm

Current settings setup by my plumber is using a lot of salt, probably have gone through 80-120lbs of salt in that time. Brine solution is higher than the salt in the system, I added a new 40lb bag just today but water still sits higher.

I used this video to do the baseline programming:

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Edit 8.14.2021:
I've since adjusted some settings today to:

H: 6
C: 30K
BW: 5 min
BD: 60 min
RR: 5 min
BF: 6 min

So it seems as though when the first cycle of the regeneration process which is the back wash, when the resin tank is cleaning itself water is being pushed out of it, but what also is happening is in the T connection, water is being pushed into the brine tank as well causing the overflow, seems as though that connection needs its own drain and not connected to the T. I have standing water the brine tank.

Attachments

• 20210814_062955.jpg
    20210814_062955.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 163

avpowerstn

Reaction score
What is your GPG (Grains Per Gallon) not PPM . I use a Hach bought online. I have 27 GPG and use 14 lbs of salt per regen. In Lancaster,CA using a Culligan Gold that is 20 years old. with 40lbs per month salt usage

hach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bannerman

Reaction score
water is being pushed into the brine tank as well causing the overflow,
Sorry, I misunderstood your comment to mean something other than what you said.

The drain flow from the softener's control valve is flowing under pressure during regeneration, so the brine tank overflow cannot be connected to the same line. The brine tank overflow will only flow by gravity to a lower drain which will need its own tube which remains separate from the main drain tube.

One gallon water entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt. The additional water entering the overflow connection will have caused significantly more salt to be dissolved which is why you have been consuming an excessive amount of salt.

Your brine tank will be equipped with a safety float and safety valve to shut off incoming water flow if the fluid level rises to a specific height within the brine tank. Because of these safety devices, an overflow fitting is no longer really necessary and is no longer included on many units, but other softener suppliers continue to install one. You could run a separate drain line to a floor drain or other lower drain, or not install a drain line. Some place a bucket under the overflow fitting if concerned some brine will overflow.

Your 6 minute Brine Fill setting X 0.5 GPM BLFC will cause 3 gallons water to enter the brine tank each cycle. Because each gallon will dissolve 3 lbs salt, the resulting 9 lbs brine quantity is appropriate to regenerate the 30K grains Capacity you currently have programmed.

Last edited:

Iqraam Nabi

Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood your comment to mean something other than what you said.

The drain flow from the softener's control valve is flowing under pressure during regeneration, so the brine tank overflow cannot be connected to the same line. The brine tank overflow will only flow by gravity to a lower drain which will need its own tube which remains separate from the main drain tube.

One gallon water entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt. The additional water entering the overflow connection will have caused significantly more salt to be dissolved which is why you have been consuming an excessive amount of salt.

Your brine tank will be equipped with a safety float and safety valve to shut off incoming water flow if the fluid level rises to a specific height within the brine tank. Because of these safety devices, an overflow fitting is no longer really necessary and is no longer included on many units, but other softener suppliers continue to install one. You could run a separate drain line to a floor drain or other lower drain, or not install a drain line. Some place a bucket under the overflow fitting if concerned some brine will overflow.

Your 6 minute Brine Fill setting X 0.5 GPM BLFC will cause 3 gallons water to enter the brine tank each cycle. Because each gallon will dissolve 3 lbs salt, the resulting 9 lbs brine quantity is appropriate to regenerate the 30K grains Capacity you currently have programmed.

Thank you for this, I will re-route the overflow tube and make it its own separate drain line. The overflow safety float will need to be looked at as I dont think its functioning properly as well.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The safety float will be usually adjusted so it will close the safety valve to stop water entry just before fluid begins to exit the overflow port.

With the overflow port connected to the main drain line, the safety float & valve will not have prevented the fluid level to rise above the overflow port since the safety devices will only stop the incoming flow entering through the brine line, but your excess water was entering through the drain port.

Last edited:

Iqraam Nabi

Reaction score
The safety float will be usually adjusted so it will close the safety valve to stop water entry just before fluid begins to exit the overflow port.

With the overflow port connected to the main drain line, the safety float & valve will not have prevented the fluid level to rise above the overflow port since the safety devices will only stop the incoming flow entering through the brine line, but your excess water was entering through the drain port.

Ah ok that make sense, well then sounds like the only issue then is the drain line, thanks for the help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks