First time plumbing a shower. How did I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

JanSolo

Reaction score
Hello again, o wise plumbing masters!

I'm continuing with my bathroom project and today, I tackled the new shower plumbing. It's a normal Delta shower with tub-spout. I used PEX for most of it; but I had to do some copper sweat connections too.
It's my first time doing sweat and PEX, so let's see how you think I did...

This is what it looked like with the old faucet still there.
CE250C20-22F0-4AEA-8196-470EB97D30B2.jpeg

Here's my layout before I crimped in all my PEX
C1BAC9FC-3A7D-4D82-9A2B-D1A5EAFDA1B2.jpeg

Here's my rough-in valve all crimped in.
29E54CBF-5080-4B02-BE44-326D0CF17A84.jpeg

My very first copper sweat connections for the tub-spout.
87F45D5E-72E9-4F51-A9D4-E4C5E763534C.jpeg

Copper to PEX. It was a bit hair-raising to mess around with my propane torch indoors. Kids thought I was gonna burn the house down for sure.
D9654388-BFA7-439E-A532-18003F56C5AB.jpeg

So there you go; it holds water; completely dry so far. If you see anything sketchy, let me know and I'll try to address it before I close the wall up.

Couple of questions:

The center-line of my bath/show coincides with a stud on the wall, you can see I trim some of the stud to get the valve & pex to fit. Do I need to add some more wood here so that I have something to attach my drywall to securely? I'm expecting yes....

My current plan is to close up the shower with Kerdi-board and use normal drywall for the rest of the room. I looked a the price of Kerdi-Board and it aint cheap! Is it better/cheaper/easier to just drywall the whole thing and just use Kerdi membrane near the shower? How hard is it to have a Kerdi-Board/Drywall mix solution?

Thanks, wise plumbing wizards!

Jan

Last edited:

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope that is uponor or rehau pipe. I won’t bend any other pipe like that but that’s just me and my opinion. I’ve seen too many leaks in bends like that on other brands. At least use some bend supports.

Your valve is at the proper depth and everything looks good. I’d say you did a good job. How high is the valve and shower head? I usually do 4 foot and around 78ish inches depending I usually ask the homeowner. Looks good though.

JanSolo

Reaction score
I hope that is uponor or rehau pipe.

The pipe is HomeDepots finest Sharkbite brand. No idea if that’s good or not.
46E4438E-AD7E-46AD-9F45-EF93E7C5A845.jpeg

I won’t bend any other pipe like that but that’s just me and my opinion. I’ve seen too many leaks in bends like that on other brands. At least use some bend supports.

I did buy a few supports to try out. Didn’t end up using them because it ‘felt’ like like I didn’t need em. If you’re recommending that I do use em, I’ll put em in for sure.
D2C1302F-7C5C-477C-88DB-E48A67B1F4A0.jpeg

IYour valve is at the proper depth and everything looks good. I’d say you did a good job. How high is the valve and shower head? I usually do 4 foot and around 78ish inches depending I usually ask the homeowner. Looks good though.

Thanks Terry! Valve is at 4foot; shower head at 7foot 10inches. I’m a tall guy, so it needs to be high.

Thanks!

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
After looking again you are probably right that you don’t need them. I just said that out of fear of that brand. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each type of pex will have a minimum bend radius...as long as you don't try to exceed that, it should be fine. Assuming the bend supports are for that brand of pex, you're a long way from the minimum.

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got Terry H totaly it wasent the bend radius it was the joint at tub valve . when there is a bend near a joint it dosent allow the barb to have as good a bite. bend supports help. but it looks like all agree that installation should be fine just dont want more stress on joints than nessesary

JanSolo

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks! I did use the Go NoGo thingy... it did fit into the slot, but not all the way in. That's how it should be, correct?
I don't know. I have only used the expansion PEX fittings.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your good to go and looks clean a lot of pros dont do it as good looking everyone has own prefferance on valve height etc. thats what makes it custom!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks