First post: waste arm higher than drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by GolderGopher11, Nov 18, 2019.

1. GolderGopher11

GolderGopher11 New Member

Hey there, first time posting!

Recently installed a new sink and noticed that the previous waste pipe sits at about the same height that the drain sits. I could install the P trap and use an extender to then connect to the waste pipe but it’s about a 5 inch vertical run.

Question: Would this work or would the water fail to drain properly? If that run isn’t going to work, is my only option to lower the drain line? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    When the dishwasher shuts off, ANY water in the hose or where it discharges into, may be siphoned back into the DW even with a "high loop", so the drain in your photo would be a definite NO NO NO installation.

Sylvan likes this.
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How about with an air gap? At least we know there would be no siphon.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. GolderGopher11

GolderGopher11 New Member

I was able to create a shorter run from the p trap to the waste line, about 3.5 inches total. Would that do the trick?

A little confused by the dishwasher drain comments. That placement is standard with the tail pipe and would ne installed with as high of a loop I can create. What else could I do there?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019