Finding Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpedersen

Reaction score
I recently moved into an older home w/ a sprinkler system. In the last week I noticed one of the sprinkler heads is leaking so I assumed it is a problem w/ the valve. Problem is I can't find a valve box anywhere. Any tricks for locating a box that may have been covered in dirt and grass?

Thanks

JP

Teamo

Reaction score
Can you see where the supply line exits the house? Usually it will exit the house and go down into the ground close to the house and into the valve box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
metal detector?

Most residential valves are plastic so a metal detector would be useless. If the valves are really "invisible" a lawn sprinkler supply company may be able to tell you if anyone has a "valve detecting" electronic locator. Otherwise just get a long narrow screwdriver and start poking the ground in the area where the water line enters the ground.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valve boxes are located in very logical places. Near where the water comes from the house or from the water main, and usually not just stuck out the the middle of the yard. Try to imagine where you'd put it then start probing. You might want to grid the area(s) out so you are sure of covering the entire area.

Beary

Reaction score
I had this problem last year. I have a heavy steel bar that I used to poke the ground looking for the box. I build some pretty good biceps poking hundreds of holes, but never found and of the valve boxes. I hired a guy just went to a rental store and rented one of those line tracer machines. Turns out I had three boxes and the reason I couldn't find them was because there was 2 inches of grass growing on them, and they weren't near any of the logical places most installers put valves. Call a local rental shop and ask them if they have something that will trace wire underground.

Beary

R

Rancher

hj said:
Most residential valves are plastic so a metal detector would be useless.
Well not exactly, I think a metal detector will go bonkers at the copper in the solenoid coil, or the SS metal holding the two halves together. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

Rancher

R

Rancher

Rancher said:
I'll try it tonight and let you know.
Feedback from the test... Yes the metal detector does locate the plastic valves, and the wiring to the valve if it's not below 1' in the ground.

Rancher

ed the head

I have been in irrigation over 25 years
Reaction score
Just bite the bullet,call a irrigation co. and ask them if they have a 521 valve locater and for about a $100.00 they will find all of them for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks