Few questions on shower install

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions I was hoping to get feedback on regarding a shower install I’m doing. The shower installed is an acrylic pan. I used concrete backer board for the walls which sit 1/8” above the shower flange. I used Redgard for the walls and a waterproof membrane strip for the gap between the backerboard and shower flange.

Before I tile I am looking to test that the shower walls are indeed water tight. Specifically, I want to test there are no leaks where the 1/8” gap is. I’ve read that the Redgard should not be treated as a wear item, i.e. don’t have a shower head pouring water on it. I was thinking of taping some painters plastic on the wall over the Redgard and running the shower so i can check that the gap is indeed water tight. Thoughts?

Also, my shower pan doesn’t come with any weep holes. I was considering leaving gaps in the silicone between the tile and shower pan, but I think that would create more issues than it would help. I’m thinking any water that does get behind the tile will dry via the grout? Any opinions?

Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Prior to the installation of RedGard, the instructions on the cbu is to tape the seams with alkali resistant mesh tape and thinset over them. This shouldn't be overly thick like you would with drywall as you don't want to create speed bumps for your tile. THEN you can cover the walls with RedGard. Once that is done, there is no gap. RedGard says it can handle small gaps. But, it also assumes you've followed the backboard installation instructions.

On the vertical surfaces, you shouldn't get any significant moisture behind the tile. This is especially true if you wipe or squeegee the walls down (which most people don't do). If you Do do that, you'll extend the time between when you have to clean the walls of soap and mineral stains.

Joe88

Reaction score
Prior to the installation of RedGard, the instructions on the cbu is to tape the seams with alkali resistant mesh tape and thinset over them. This shouldn't be overly thick like you would with drywall as you don't want to create speed bumps for your tile. THEN you can cover the walls with RedGard. Once that is done, there is no gap. RedGard says it can handle small gaps. But, it also assumes you've followed the backboard installation instructions.

On the vertical surfaces, you shouldn't get any significant moisture behind the tile. This is especially true if you wipe or squeegee the walls down (which most people don't do). If you Do do that, you'll extend the time between when you have to clean the walls of soap and mineral stains.

Thanks for responding. Alkali resistant mesh tape and thin set were used prior to Redgard on all the seams between cbu pieces. Thinset will not adhere to the acrylic pan however, and that’s why a waterproof membrane sheet was used between the bottom cbu and pan flange to seal the gap.

I am using ceramic tile so I’d imagine the only way water would get behind the tile is via grout. I’m guessing that drying via grout should be fine as well.

Baby j man

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions I was hoping to get feedback on regarding a shower install I’m doing. The shower installed is an acrylic pan. I used concrete backer board for the walls which sit 1/8” above the shower flange. I used Redgard for the walls and a waterproof membrane strip for the gap between the backerboard and shower flange.

Before I tile I am looking to test that the shower walls are indeed water tight. Specifically, I want to test there are no leaks where the 1/8” gap is. I’ve read that the Redgard should not be treated as a wear item, i.e. don’t have a shower head pouring water on it. I was thinking of taping some painters plastic on the wall over the Redgard and running the shower so i can check that the gap is indeed water tight. Thoughts?

Also, my shower pan doesn’t come with any weep holes. I was considering leaving gaps in the silicone between the tile and shower pan, but I think that would create more issues than it would help. I’m thinking any water that does get behind the tile will dry via the grout? Any opinions?

Thanks for your help!
No don’t water test it no need to

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks