Existing irrigation system but no backflow preventer.

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Redskins-21, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Redskins-21

Redskins-21 New Member

I purchased a house last year that already had an irrigation system installed by the previous owner. Come to find out, this system does not have a backflow preventer installed. I am looking to install an RPZ valve type backflow but through my research have encountered conflicting information.

My house sits on a long rectangular 1 acre lot which gradually slopes down toward the road. I have read that the backflow preventer needs to be installed 6" - 12" above the highest sprinkler head. With the slope of my lot this would be about 8' in the air and looking ridiculous. I have also read that with this particular RPZ type backflow that it just needs to sit 12" off the ground where it is to be located. Which is correct?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    A Vacuum breaker is placed higher than the highest head.
    A reduced pressure back flow preventer does not have that limitation.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

There are rules about back flow prevention devices that you should make yourself aware of. These rules are strictly enforced in some places, and ignored in other areas. Basically, they should be inspected (certified) annually by a licensed inspector. Exact procedures probably vary from place to place, but as an example, my city provided the first inspection, then each spring sends a list of inspectors in our area that can provide the service. The inspector comes to the site, preforms the check, and makes what ever repairs that might be necessary. Repairs are seldom needed, and inexpensive. The inspection fee varies from inspector to inspector, but are in the range of $35 to $50. If the inspection is not performed, the city will shut the water to the property off.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If you get something that sticks a foot above the ground, you might want to cover it with a fake rock if appropriate to your landscape. Search for mock rock, artificial rock, etc.

Otherwise a shrub might hide the item.